DonFromTX

Well Known Member
I just made a discovery, all D-sub pins are not all created equal! I can barely see the darned things, but became certain that some of mine were smaller than others. Sure enough, some pins measure .030, some measure .040! I suspect the little ones may not make contact in all connectors, so maybe I have some .030 pins sticking into .040 sockets. Is this a problem? Can they be intermixed? I cannot find them being sold by size, not sure what this all means. Help anybody?

Don,

For our use, I've only encountered two sizes. Standard d-sub pins and High Density (smaller) d-sub pins. At least that's all you'll find at Steinair and B & C. The High Density were called for on Garmin and PS Engineering stuff and Standard on everything else. Not sure what the measurements were but they can't be swapped.

Last edited:
Don are you sure you have not mixed up high density pins with the regular ones. There is a difference in size for sure.

Probably so as to the all mixed up. I never knew there was a difference before. As near as I can tell, all of the RV/Dynon stuff uses the bigger pins, called Standard as opposed to HD title for the skinny ones. Now I need to go back to the connectors I have made, and make sure I did not use the HD small pins into a standard socket. This airplane building business sure can get complicated! They should make them different colors or something.

Don are you sure you have not mixed up high density pins with the regular ones. There is a difference in size for sure.

"...They should make them different colors or something...."

They are different colors....:)

The standard pin/sockets are made to a Mil-Spec with a /369 ending and are color coded with the resistor color codes.

It should have orange/blue/white stripes around the crimp area -

205089-1.jpg

The high density ones are orange/blue/black and are not interchangeable

SA-1018-HD%20CONTACT,PIN%20HI%20DENSITY%20L.jpg

Last edited:
2 rows or 3

Typically D-subs with three or more rows of pins are HD, in our stuff I think Garmin is about the only place you'll see them. Also the Daniel crimper uses the same positioner for both male and female SD pins, the HD's take a different tool for each gender but you'll likely only need the male.
From my experience at least.
Tim

Now that that's established you can start worrying about the amp rating. Standard density (series one in circular connectors) come in at least 2 amp ratings.