Jim P

Well Known Member
Dumb question maybe, but how do you use a d-sub insert/ extract tool to extract a pin from the shell?

Jim

It depends on what contacts are in the connnector. One style connector is high density and has more smaller contacts in the same size connector. (Green / White insert / remove tool.)

The BACKSHELL must be removed from the connector. You will be using a Red / White or a Green / White removal tool. (SteinAir sells them.)

Assuming that you are using a Mil Spec connector that has a silicone seal where the wires go in, use a drop of IPA on the tool, thread the wire through the large opening in the metal of the connector and gently slide it into the connector. You will FEEL a click when you have relased the keepers. Now pull on the wire and it should come right out.

I have done this so many times, I can do it with my eyes closed. I hope my description helps.

Thanks

Thanks Gary. Man, that was a quick response. BTW, they are standard d-subs and not the high-density.

Jim

Beer????

RV6_flyer said:
Assuming that you are using a Mil Spec connector that has a silicone seal where the wires go in, use a drop of IPA on the tool,

Gary.... I always thought IPA was "India Pale Ale" but that doesn't seem appropriate for use in electronic connectors.... :)

Silicone fluid??

gil in Tucson