buz

Well Known Member
Has anyone ever had a problem with a D-sub connector?

I have a 25 pin on the back of the TruTrak Digi II head. When I engage the autopilot the pitch servo isn't working. If I reach back and pull up and hold up on the plug it engages and works fine.

I have tugged on all the pins, pulled them out and visually looked at them, made sure they were fully pushed in. It all looks good.

Any ideas?

Check the tension on each of the female pins using a singe male pin. Very rare for them to go bad on the crimped machined pins but on cheaper versions they can loosen up.

Check to make sure your back shell hasn't been tightened on one of the wires. Sounds like it could be open and when you lift on the bundle it's getting a connection.

I've had multiple issues with D-Subs, even with the high-grade crimp pins.

- In some, the pins "back out" a bit when installed even though they seem fully seated. I attribute this to cheaply constructed shells, and often the simplest answer is to re-pin a new shell.
- I've had instances where pins just don't seem to make good contact, and resorted to lightly deforming the female pins to grip better
- A bad crimp can make for a poor contact between pin and wire - there is no substitute for the "tug test"

All in all, once you are sure they are RIGHT they work fine.