kboyd59

I have tried to read all threads I could find on these two units, I have looked up prices on both units, I think I understand the differences between the two units. Now I would like to here the pros and cons from the pilots who are flying behind these glass panels, as of right now unless something else in the same price range is released one of these units will be going into my RV9A, I was just hoping to get some insight from fellow pilots. Thanks

Ken Boyd
RV9A
(57KB) Reserved

Ken,

Both are good units and you will be happy with either.

You are buying into the company when you purchase your EFIS. Dynon sells probably more units than anyone else and continues to expand the line.

In fact, they just came out with an autopilot that will tie into their EFIS. So, if you want an AP, I would take a second look at the Dynon option.

MGL -vs- Dynon

In fact, they just came out with an autopilot that will tie into their EFIS. So, if you want an AP, I would take a second look at the Dynon option.

As an OEM dealer for MGL, I'm a little biased of course. The Dynon is a great product, they've been around long enough to have a great reputation, and everyone knows their customer service is excellent!

That said, our new 2009 Skylarks will be standard equipped with dual MGL Voyagers, MGL's dual axis AutoPilot, MGL's nav/com and MGL's Mode-S transponder, all of which will be integrated with the Voyagers. This is the same plan I have for my RV-9A :D (if I ever finish it)....:eek:.

...MGL's dual axis AutoPilot...
MGL is really coming along with their features!

Whichever you select, do yourself a favor, install the autopilot brackets and run the wires, even if you don't want an autopilot today.

Down the road you might wish to install one and it is much easier to do if those wires and brackets are already in place. And it is easier to install the brackets and wires during construction than later, after you are flying.

I Talked to Matt at MGL and they have an AP that will debut at Airventure. The servos will tie directly into their efis without needing any external unit to activate them. At age 50 the large screen is also a big plus. There is a lot of leaning toward the Odyssey. Thanks for the replies.

Dynon FlightDek 180

We have been flying behind the FD-180 for a month now. It does an excellent job with the engine instrumentation. We have included the Dynon HS-34 to provide navigation input. The navigation is from a Garmin 430. There is not an interface from the FD-180 to the TruTrak autopilot. The Garmin does drive the autopilot and provides input to the HSI of the FD-180 so effectively you are able to fly coupled approaches.
I have no experience with the other alternative.