Toobuilder

Well Known Member
My new Rocket has both a D-10A as well as a conventional altimeter installed in the panel. The D-10 is WAY behind on software updates and that will be sorted out soon enough, but I can't help but notice the significant (150-200 feet) disparity between the altitude displayed on the D-10 and the mechanical unit. And the mechanical unit seems to be the accurate one.

Once I discovered the open static ports on the mechanical unit, I figured the problem would be solved with tying the static system together. Nope. Even sitting in the hangar the two units don't agree.

So is there an adjustment to make to bring the Dynon back into line with reality? Anybody seen this before?

Page 7-1 in the install manual:

"ALTIMETER CHECK
The following test can be performed on an as-needed basis. If the altimeter is found to be out of specification, the following single-point adjustment can be performed by navigating the menus to SETUP > ALTADJ. In the Altimeter Adjustment menu, you can change the displayed altitude by up to 500 feet up or down. After making this adjustment, ensure that the altimeter on the EFIS-D10A meets the tolerances allowed between 0 and 30,000 feet. If this adjustment does not bring the altimeter on the EFIS-D10A to within specification at all attitudes, please contact Dynon Avionics to return for service."

You might find however that it is not the Dynon that is off if your mechanical unit is compared to a calibrated test unit.

Thanks for that Brian.

I thought I downloaded the latest install guide but I see that its dated 2010. There's no section 7 in that one.

As far as the relative accuracy, when setting the window to the ATIS and given a known field elevation, the steam wins in this case.

As far as the relative accuracy, when setting the window to the ATIS and given a known field elevation, the steam wins in this case.

I hear you...the only problem is where on the field is that reference elevation?

I know my home airport claims 1313ft but it changes from one end to the other over 40ft and it looks like a flat runway. I can imagine that others have much more variation.

Just something to look out for. The tweak in the manual should get you fixed up as long as it is not over +-500ft off.

Seems to be about 150 feet, so I should be able to get close enough until I can get a proper pitot/static accomplished.

Michael,
Please also make sure that you adjust the altitude once the D10A is warmed up. The altimeter can be off a bit when first turned on if it's a cold morning, so doing the adjust at the end of the flight or after you have it on for 15 minutes is a good idea.

One more thing...

If there is an airport diagram for your airport (like on AirNav site), it will give the field elevation for each end of the runway(s). At least my airport does (ABI). Also confirmed to be pretty darned close on Google Earth too. ;)

Ok, got the process figured out, but button #1 (far left) is dead apparently. All the other buttons will wake up the menu and perform their functions, but this one is out to lunch. And I kind of need that one.

Is this a "send it home" deal, or is there a fix for this?

Button #1 won't wake up the menu. Did you check it when you were in a menu?

If it really doesn't work, it needs to come back.

Yep, I checked it in the menus, out of the menus... No workie.

I'll be calling today for shipment info.