pierre smith

Well Known Member
Since I installed version 5.2 in the Dynon, I had to change the NMEA speed in the 496 to "Normal", instead of "Fast".

This disabled the TruTrak's nav function and only allowed altitude hold and sometimes tracking would work.

So I decided that I'd rather have the ADI II autopilot working and reset the 496 to "Fast". Now I don't have a needle on the HSI page and have to navigate with the 496.

I wonder if there's any setting on either the Dynon or the ADI II that would allow both to function. I spoke with TruTrak today but not Dynon and TT said that it should work in "Normal" and are trying to figure it out.

Best,

Wierd

Hi Pierre,
This seems strange to me as the fast mode is a subset of the normal mode. Doesn't the normal mode contain all of the NMEA sentences in the fast mode plus some additional ones ? It should work unless there is some type of timing issue where its taking too long for the normal mode to send to the TT? The fast mode doesn't contain the GPBOD sentence that Dynon needs if I remember correctly.
Wonder if you can try different baud rates? I use 9600 on my Dynon/496 combo.

Last edited:
Pierre,

What I've seen from Dynon (manuals and posts here and at Dynon) indicates Normal should be used (for the Dynon), and that was true before 5.2.

Standard protocol has been to set the X96 settings to Aviation In, NMEA & VHF out, Baud Rate to 9600 and speed to Normal.

On the Dynon settings, I've had better luck with setting NMEA and 9600, rather than setting those to auto and letting it auto-detect the GPS data stream.

I've also caused my GPS data to dissapear by playing with the NAVSRC selection in the Dynon menus. Since my only Nav source is my 396, playing with those menus just messed it up. Just something else to check to make sure its not an issue.

Couple questions to consider:

Was everything working with your Dynon/GPS set-up with Fast selected before 5.2? If so, that's pretty interesting, though I don't know enough to say it can't work that way. If it did, it may make the above comments moot.

Have you recently upgraded your 496 firmware? I have seen some posts that indicate upgrading to new firmware has caused Normal to be changed to Fast, and had to be changed back to Normal (if it was in Fast before).

If you haven't recently upgraded that GPS firmare, you may consider doing so...I've seen it as a recommendation from Dynon, saying that the EFIS's play better with GPS with current software (firmware that is, not databases).

Will be interesting to find out if TT has a tweak to make this all come toghether!

Brian and Jaime may know more, and Jaime just installed a TT AP (though I think its a different model), so they may have some good gouge.

Best of luck!

Cheers,
Bob

Sorry I can't help here. It should work in Normal on the TT as well as it has the same sentences as the FAST mode, FAST leaves out some data to make it FASTER.

Make sure the baud rates are set correctly on all three devices.

If TT said it should work then it should. I would wait and see what they tell you.

I am sure we have many others out there driving a Dynon and a TT AP with a X96.

On the same GPS menu where you set the Normal or Fast, there are some optional sentences that you can turn on and off. If these are not needed, you could try turning those off and see what happens.

Update....it's fixed

I was fortunate to get together with John Wyatt at Trutrak this morning while I was in the airplane, outside, everything booted up and a go-to- waypoint in.

I went to position 4 on the TT and it was on 96 (00) baud. The 496 was on 4800 so he walked me through the change on the ADI II to match the 496 and BAM...instant success.

While I was in the NMEA in/out page on the 496, he also suggested turning off everything, like GPSV and two more or the TT might hunt a bit, so I did as he advised and went flying.

I had also put a new BNC connector on the Marker beacon coax so Bush field it was. Locked in the ILS and sneaked up on the marker....success...I'm a happy camper:)

Best,