bird

Well Known Member
Hi all, I am doing some research on an engine for my 8. Engines are my weak spot. My question for now is about "millennium" cylinders, are they equal to say a new lycoming cylinder that would be shipped with a new engine from lycoming? I don't even know what new lycoming cylinders are made of, chrome?, steel? I am planning on a basic 0-360 carbureted. Thanks in advance.

Bird

I spent a couple of months researching cylinders for my new overhaul and went with Superior (also my engine guy's recommendation, he sees a lot more engines than I do). Concensus was Lycoming or Superior, mixed reports on ECI. Pleased as punch so far, though it's still early- only 6 smoh. An added plus, Air Power had them for $980 each. Lots of good info if you do a search on cylinders.

Factory Lycs will probably be Nitrided barrels - they break in quickly, and if you fly often, they are just fine - it's what i went with when I replaced the ECI Cerminil cylinders on my -8's engine. I originally went with the fancy Cerminil due to corrosion concerns, but since I fly about five times a week, corrosion is not a factor... ;)

Milleniums

I'm pleased with my Millenium cylinders .... they broke in in less than 10 to 12 hrs; oil consumption now is less than 1 qt per 10hrs. I have very low hrs at this point, but the experience to date bodes well for the future.

The Milleniums are really dandy cylinders. Over the years they seem to have had less problems than the "others".

Bird - If you are having the engine built, follow the advice of your engine shop. They are the ones that will be dealing with the warranty issues should you have a problem.
I personally do not believe that any of the major cylinder manufacturers make a bad product. The liability is way to high. Not that they don't occasionally screw up.
I have an Aerosport Engine, Superior with Millenium cylinders. It was never even a discussion point when speaking with them.

ECI cylinders

ECI has published a bunch of articles in the last few months about how they improved their cylinders after the AD. I think that cost them a pot load of money and they figured they couldn't afford any more of that. I think they stretched the warranty to three years at the same time. Take a look at their website to read the articles www.eci.aero I'm not so good at posting links.

Keep 'em flying.

Grub