wrongway john

Well Known Member
Some cylinder manufacturers give one an option of what kind of cylinder you want: steel, nickel carbide, chrome (cermi-chrome, channel chrome) lined. I think some use a combination of nickel and chromium. Lycoming says its cylinder barrels are ?machined from chrome nickel molybdenum steel forgings? and that the cylinders are nitride hardened.

Any preference for a particular cylinder?

rings and cylinders matter

When I was in A&P school, I was taught that both the rings and cylinders matter. If a motor runs chrome rings and chrome cylinders, then the rings and cylinders may never wear in. So I was taught to choose either chrome cylinders with standard (nitride)rings, or chrome rings with standard (nitride) cylinders. In the end, I think I would prefer to stick with a recommendation of a major manufacturer. JMHO

Well assuming one just ran chrome barrels (not rings), can anyone tell me if lower compression is typical of this set-up? I talked to one man who said his compression has been in the low seventies after hundreds of hours, and had been like that since overhaul. He said oil consumption is slightly higher too with these barrels. Can't remember the rings he used, but I don't think they were chrome.

chrome

It is my understanding that chroming is just a method to bring a cylinder back to dimension. I remember that it is very important to use the correct rings with your type of cylinder. A mistake on ring type will be catastrophic.

Channel chrome is the "old style" chrome. I don't know if this process is still used today. I don't think it is, but I'm not sure.

I think alot of folks are using some form of Nickel. I know there are many choices and it will take some research.

Call Central Cylinder in Omaha or another good cylinder shop and discuss this with them. I wouldn't hesitate to use chrome cylinders. As a side benefit, chrome cylinders won't rust.

I've never heard of barrel type affecting compression. The rings will seat in some of the modern chrome barrels faster than steel barrels.

Last edited:
My understanding is chrome barrels are good for A/C that don't fly much, as they inhibit rust in there. On the down side, they will always use more oil, because they just never "break in" as it were, like regular jugs do. The lower compression issue is something I can't speak to, but it sounds logical. Another cause (for lower compression) could be the rings were incorrect and are wearing out against the chrome cylinder.
YMMV

Dennis

As an A&P, I do NOT like Chrome cylinders and would never use one on my airplane. Chrome ALWAYS has high oil consumption.

IMHO, you will not go wrong with any of the NEW cylinders on the market. I ran low S/Ns 8, 9, 10, 11 Superior Investment Cast Millennium cylinders for 2,200+ hours. 1,800 of those hours was with 10:1 pistons.

Lycoming Nitrated cylinders are reported to be the longest wearing according to Lycoming. Lycoming says that the Thru-Hardened Steel Cylinders used by Superior and ECI are SOFT compared to their Thru-Hardened Cylinders. My Superior Cylinders still had the cross-hatch pattern in them when removed and measured out to NEW Spec including choke after 2,200 hours.

I am presently running ECI Titan STEEL cylinders with 9:1 pistons. After 40 to 45 hours, I am ready to add my first quart of oil between changes but instead just change oil. There is between 200 and 300 hours on these cylinders.

IMHO, stay away from any overhauled cylinder and buy NEW from any of the three manufacturers and you will not go wrong. IMHO, only use the Nickel Carbide if you live in a high corrosion environment.

This thread has been very influential for me on what cylinders to consider, and hope more will add to it. Thanks to all of you, thus far. Cylinders are something I?ve done search engines on here, and only found little bits and pieces scattered throughout various threads. If others have anything to add, please do so. There is a lot to learn, and this can be a very costly mistake getting the wrong process done, or going with a wrong manufacturer.

Lycoming Steel

I run O-360-A1As.

I've settled on Lyc steel for all uses. They are solid, long lived, and respond well to caressing. LyCon in Visalia, CA, flows and ports them, a very worthwhile option. Run strong, run cool. Many happy pilots around here using them.

My experience with ECi is they run hot - and they keep spouting ADs! Their Exp Titans with 9.2:1 on one engine performed well but they also were too hot for worry-free flying. Although anecdotal, many builders of my acquaintance and some engine shops hereabouts have the same opinion. Then, ECi tapering the fins seems absolutely idiotic on an air cooled engine, and baffling is much more difficult.

I've once had a Superior steel engine, but it was standard blah 360. Superior is just coming alive again, so I'd be cautious about buying into the business for a while.

Stay away from chrome.

Experimental engines can mix and match parts from all suppliers. For me, the most bang for the buck is a set of LyCon flowed jugs on an ECi bottom end built around ASP's 375 crank.

John Siebold