flyingriki

Well Known Member
Am overhauling now. What's the general experience with brands of cylinders, Lyc vs. Superior and ECi? Am planning on having Lycon do their flow magic on them and am getting lots of different input on going with overhauled vs. new then the choice of brands. I thought the aftermarket companies had made some improvements over the 'Lycosaurus' product but can't seem to find any specifics?
Am well aware of the ECi cylinder issues and expect they have that figured out now? The others have had their ADs too.
Thanks!

They say Lycoming. But it's obviously because of the ECi issues that may have cost them and seem to have passed. Many issues, like the recent ones, were not as serious as the blown up stories by the FAA.
If you research cylinders you'll find that aftermarket clones have improved on the weak points and as their issues resolve, produce a better product. Otherwise how would they sell so many?
Was looking for the experience of others.

Two cents..

I like to build my own personal engines myself. don't ask how many or how long, don't know and would make my hair more gray than I would like anyway. For me, looking at all the those different jug makes out there. I like "E.C.I.", Exp., taper fin, Nic. Carb., with hi-flow seats. " Tuff, long lasting, better flow, a little less weight, and even the racing engines now can't get a better coating on the cylinder walls. Hope this helps. Yours as always. R.E.A. III #80888

Sorry that this is based on little experience, but I felt compelled to chime in.

First I am glad to hear of Roberts opinion, as his was exactly my first choice after doing a fair amount or research.

I actually ended up with ECI, non-tapered, Nickel carbide, 9:1 CR. I did not want to loose the weight offered by the experimental tapers.

I did go to Lycon for the porting. (Their recommendation was original Lycoming, but expressed no reservations with ECI and gladly took my bucks, quick service by the way)

Had I been able to get the hi-flow seats, I think I would have passed on the porting. (I could'nt talk ECI into putting the relieved seats in a non-experimental cylinder)

My results after 30 hrs - Great running engine and I think that the extra power is there. Still working out some kinks - make sure to confirm your timing is correct, especially if you increase CR. My CHT's were initially troublesome and getting the timing right (now 20 degrees advanced) helped a lot. I will probably be sending out my RSA/AFP injector to up the full power fuel flow. I have indications that the 17.5 gph that it is putting out right now at take off is not enough for the increased flow/HP that the engine is making.

Oil consumption is much improved and looks like it will be low.

The engine sound is "deeper" - suspect the porting here.

I chose these because I believe that ECI is working hard to advance the science of cylinder building. The fact that lots of reputable builders use them also influenced me. I think that the Ni carb has some advantage for us part time fliers.

Hope this helps. YMMV

Last edited:
Lycon Cylinder Work

Does anyone have the prices for any cylinder porting or piston lightening work?

Thanks!

Ryan

$300/cylinder for porting at Lycon was my quote last week.

Thank you Bob and Gary for the input. I thought their added material in areas prone to cracking was an excellent idea. Just pulled an overhauled Lycoming cylinder that cracked at 860 hours. Don't know if it was a first run when overhauled or not. Going new this time.
Thanks again.

Last edited: