SHF

Is there a way to cut a nice straight line in the vinyl without any scratching taking place. I tried a small piece but cant cut right through without getting the slightest scratch.

A 25-30 watt soldering iron with a rounded tip will melt the vinyl in a thin line, but will not fully penetrate. It will look scratched when you remove the vinyl, but that will actually be a thin "hair" of vinyl.

BTW, Welcome to VAF!

Last edited:
Another handy tip

If you intend to cut straight lines in the vinyl, it's far better to use a straightedge made from a thin strip of wood veneer. A metal ruler or the like draws too much of the heat out of the iron tip and will consequently make the process extremely slow.

I was able to find some thin, 3-ply veneer at a craft and hobby supply. Works just great.

+1: make sure the iron tip is dull and very smooth.

Cnc!!!!

Just throw it in a cnc vinyl cutter, mine is 48 inches wide and will do 2000 inches long, pretty sure it will do what you need. PM me if you have questions. Any local sign shop should be able to hook you up.

Nice tip (pun intended)

If you intend to cut straight lines in the vinyl, it's far better to use a straightedge made from a thin strip of wood veneer. A metal ruler or the like draws too much of the heat out of the iron tip and will consequently make the process extremely slow.

I was able to find some thin, 3-ply veneer at a craft and hobby supply. Works just great.

+1: make sure the iron tip is dull and very smooth.

I learn something every day it seems. Will have to try a non-metal solution for the straight edge because all this time I was wondering why it takes so darn long for me to cut mine. I have been using a long metal ruler that came in my orginal tool kit to cut mine. Also tried two different tips. I cannot stress enough making sure you sand or buff the tip smooth and don't apply too much pressure. it is possible to scratch the alclad a bit if you have a rough tip (ask me how I know). Getting ready to strip the wing skins so this is a timely post.

I confess I've been doing this deveining thing & it's a total waist of time unless you plan on a polished aluminum finish. I won't be doing it any more on the rest of the wings or fuse. Anyway, what I do is buy yard sticks from Home depot ($0.67), draw a center line lengthwise & match drill a couple center holes to skin you're deveining, cleco in place & hit it with the solder iron... In no time you'll have holes in the yardstick that match any rivet patern... Just cleco in place & run the iron along the edges.

Surface corrosion

Pull the protective vinyl off of everything and throw it away and never look back.

I agree with Vince!

+ 1 here !!!

As posted here, I found surface corrosion under the vinyl where it was wavy from the start.
And that's only after 1 year or so...
PICT4559.jpg

If you don't intend to polish your surfaces, take it off as you build...