Phil

Well Known Member
I'm getting ready to cut some stainless piano hinges and before I destroy my bandsaw blade, I wanted to see if there was another method I hadn't thought of.

Anyone found a trick or method that works for them?

Phil

I'm thinking I would sacrifice a few cut-off wheels on a Dremel before I destroyed a good bandsaw blade.

Dremel

Second Greg's idea on Dremel. Works good on stainless, make sure your goggles are on the thing throws metal dust at the speed of sound.

Bandsaw

A fine tooth metal cutting band works perfectly fine. I built an entire auto exhaust system for my rod out of 16 gauge stainless pipe and did all the cuts on the band saw. Does not dull the blade, and is not hard to cut.

Another vote for the Dremel. 3 seconds with a cutoff blade. Quick and easy. Alternative method is using the corner of a grinding wheel. A bit bludgy, but also quick.

greg

49clipper

I use my die grinder with a 2" cutoff wheel. Go thru a lot of cutoff wheels, but it works great. And as in drilling, use lard to lubricate and it will cut like butter.

I always use the Dremel cut-off wheels.
Always use safety goggles, not only for the dust but for broken pieces of disc.

Unless you have a bimetal blade in your bandsaw, and can cut slowly, I would recommend using an abrasive wheel. I routinely cut 4" blocks of 304 stainless on my horizontal bandsaw, but I use coolant and am able to control the feed. For stainless sheet I don't have any trouble cutting dry but I always use Castrol stick wax.