dan carley

Well Known Member
i have a rv4 and need to relocate my angle of attack light gauge. it is a rectangular hole. what kind of tool can i use to cut this. the panel is in the aircraft

thank you

dan carley

First off, use a drill to make a hole large enough to fit whatever tool you end up using, I happen to like using a nibbler. You can also use a variety of saw blades-------whatever works for you. Cut a bit undersized, and finish with a file.

70145400.jpg

I would also suggest drilling small----like eighth inch holes at the corners of the cutout, and make your side cuts into these holes, finish the inner corner as needed with a file--------lots of times the eighth inch hole will be enough radius to allow parts to fit.

A small unibit is also a good tool to have here.

One tool I started using late in the build for inside holes is a small handheld pneumatic belt sander. That's after starting with the usual drills, unibits and nibblers. I got it from Harbor Freight and it probably wouldn't last an entire build but it was only about $18 on sale with a coupon. Does a surprisingly good job and if I were building again, I might look on ebay for a real one.

http://www.harborfreight.com/38-in-belt-air-sander-60627.html

I am a huge fan of twisted "Wire Spyral" coping saw blades that can cut in any direction. These things are totally awesome and you can do very refined work with them if you have the patience. The ends are kind of big though and require a pretty large start hole. Also being a coping saw you can only reach so far into the panel. They are an interesting product and feel dull to the touch but seem to cut thru anything.

http://www.bestwayproductscompany.com/products.html

A cutoff wheel in a Dremel tool works well; I did my entire panel this way. The key is a steady hand and an initial shallow cut along the length of the cut that helps locate the wheel on subsequent passes. Drill holes in the corners first. Finish with a vixen file or sander.

Whatever the method, either remove avionics, or seal them up in plastic and tape to avoid particles of aluminum from getting inside and causing shorts.