Pilottonny

Well Known Member
Hello,

I am at the stage where I am installing "stuff" in the panel and............ find the sub-panel to be in the way (a lot), so I cut holes in it and parts of the sub-panel away completely. To make up for the lost integrity, I plan on riveting in a stiffener (left over peace of stringer) across, from side to side, and maybe a doubler plate around the wholes that I cut.

Does anybody have pictures of their modifications of the sub-panel?

I did not find any comments on this subject in the manual or the drawings, but I suspect that it would be normal to cut into the sub-panel, how else would you be able to install the Van's glove box? or some larger radio's?

Let us know what you did!

Regards, Tonny.

send email

Tonny,

Send me a private msg with your email address. I have 7 slider, which has been cut...a lot. I'll send you a few photos.

Regards,
David

Last edited:
Tonny,

I don't know about the slider but with the tip-up the manual state that the sub-panel can be cut as much as needed to fit radios and instruments.

Sounds like you are getting close.

BTW, Do you work for Hoechst there in Lanaken? I used to work for them here in the states and did a good bit of work with the group in Lanaken.

Bill, no I do not Work for Hoechst, I work as a free lance project manager/sales engineer for a structural steel comp.

It's nice to hear that there is people on the other side of the world that know our little town here in Belgium.

I had to cut out a chunk of the subpanel in my RV-7 slider to fit my radio trays... then I reinforced the cut out areas based on eyeball engineering and advice from Van's. You can see the process and the results if you search for "subpanel" on my little builder's site.

cheers,
mcb

I had to cut out a chunk of the subpanel in my RV-7 slider to fit my radio trays... then I reinforced the cut out areas based on eyeball engineering and advice from Van's. You can see the process and the results if you search for "subpanel" on my little builder's site.

cheers,
mcb

Matt,

Very nice work... looks great!