bobnoffs

Well Known Member
any tips on the best tool to use to cut an inspection hole in an rv-12 skin? not a round hole. i want a hole in the right wing same as factory in the left.

Cutting the hole can be done in several ways, I personally prefer a nibbler, no deformation of the skin when making the hole.
To finish the hole, this is my best tool, makes a very neat flange to inset the cover, very professional. This one is $40 at Harbor Freight.
2ps25qh.jpg
[/IMG]

If you are trying to duplicate the access hatch like in the other wing, I would suggest you contact Vans, and order the cover plate, and the reinforcement ring and nutplates etc as needed.

When you get the parts, use the cover plate as a pattern to draw your cut lines where you want the new hatch, then use a step drill to open up the corners to the correct radius. After that is is a simple task to connect the four holes in the corners with a straight cut.

The air nibbler mentioned above is a good tool, but it cuts fast, and can be hard to control. Practice a bit on scrap before you touch the wing. You can also buy a hand operated nibbler that will do a fine job. A cutoff wheel will work just fine also, but they throw little bits of metal all over the place, including inside the wing-----so be aware.

Cut a bit undersized, and file or other method to get a nice fit to the cover. Install the reinforcement ring, and that is about all there is to it.

thanks guys,
my skin is not mounted so chips are no big deal. i have a cut off wheel. i will be putting in a hole for a pitot too so maybe getting a nibbler is a good idea. i did plan on getting the parts from vans.
i haven't looked at my left wing hole but i guess i will need don's tool too if there is a flange.

same thing in a 7

i did the same thing on a 7 because it was easier to fit the tank with a hole here and if i have to replace the tie down i can do it through this hole. i did it like the second post but used a hand nibbler and made the hole slightly smaller i had spare material to use so made my own ring and cover but did it like left wing.

I cut that same hole on the RH skin to use as an access cover for my fuel transfer system (I'm making outboard tanks). I tried a variety of methods (cutoff wheel, mini endmill in a dremel, nibbler) but this was the most effective:

http://www.harborfreight.com/high-speed-metal-saw-91753.html

Just make sure the skin is braced well before you start cutting. Drill holes for the start points, use the saw, and come back in with a file and sanding drum (in a dremel or grinder) to fit to final size.