pmccoy

Well Known Member
I have been thinking about installing the simple grip handles I bought for my RV9A. Nothing fancy, just a single button PTT foam grip. It seems like the length of the control stick is just a bit to long. I am thinking about cutting 1 to 2 inches off of the end of the stick. Just wondering if others have done this, and whether or not it is a good idea. I don't know if making the control stick slightly shorter is going to effect how much pressure it takes to move the ailerons or elevator. Or maybe there is something else that I am not even thinking about that this might effect. Just curious what others have done.

Peter,

Do a search on this topic.

Some time back Van wrote an article for the RVator on this topic. It came down to this, the shorter the stick, the twitchier the plane, the longer the stick, the more stable it seemed.

The reason is, that the longer stick takes more movement to deflect the control surfaces. The short the stick, the less movement it took to make the same deflection. This can be be a big deal when it is bumpy.

Find a video on YouTube of an acro bird going through the paces, their sticks tend to be very long.

I trimmed my sticks so the top of grip would be in the same place as the top of the metal stick, after they were installed. As it worked out, I'm very happy with the way they came out.

You can always trim yours later, if you don?t like the longer stick.

Shorter for me

Since I am a 5'6" I chopped off the stick to a comfortable length for me. You get used to any length after a while. Yes it felt somewhat twitchy at first...but I only have a Cessna to compare with. Also at speed the forces are bigger and feels heavy on the roll...I think its good. I rarely do any barrel rolls.:)

I see you have a 9/9A...

...and I have a 6A. I was content to leave the stick just the way Van sent it to me, but I discovered that it hit the bottom of the instrument panel (std panel). So I cut an inch or so off.

Next I found HarleyD handlebar grip that fit the RV stick just right. It even had a small hole in the end for a single push button PTT switch. I only needed to cut off another 1/2 inch of the stick.

When I eventually got around to sitting in the plane, with all the switches, carb heat cables, throttle knob position, and my thumb on top of the PTT switch, I found I needed to cut off an additional inch of stick to keep both the stick and my hand free from hitting any cockpit items during the full-travel test.

And while I was trimming the pilots side, I was also trimming the passenger's stick so that the two would end up with the same height measurement.

I have no issues with any control sensitivity problems. As a matter of fact, except for pushing the PTT, my hand position is on the lower portion of the rubber stick grip.

Ok - so next logical question - how are you guys cutting the stick after it's mounted in the plane? The passenger stick can obviously be removed and take it to the bandsaw - what about the pilots side? Pipe cutter?

It Is a Newer Trend...

You see more uncut sticks in older RV's for some reason, the uncut ones look strange to me. Mine are cut and sometimes I wish they were a little lower.
Maxsparks.jpg

Action shot.

The 9A being such a docile machine you won't miss the extra length.

Hans

Last edited:
To cut the stick...

...I removed the stick from the aircraft and use a metal cutting band saw...because I had one.

Whatever length you use, be sure the stick (and your hand) do not contact ANY ITEM in the cockpit while moving the stick through its full range of travel. Any issues here could be an issue for the airworthiness inspection by the FAA or a DAR.

...I removed the stick from the aircraft and use a metal cutting band saw...because I had one.

Whatever length you use, be sure the stick (and your hand) do not contact ANY ITEM in the cockpit while moving the stick through its full range of travel. Any issues here could be an issue for the airworthiness inspection by the FAA or a DAR.

While correct, don't cut your stick until the plane is fully assembled. IIRC, the 9's stick would hit the panel and side wall but after installing the control surfaces, that was no longer an issue.

Again, do a search, all these issues have been discussed in length in past threads.

As already mentioned by Bill....I would recommend you not make any change to the stick on an airplane that you have not even ever flown yet. You may like it just how it is.

Another think to consider (and please don't anyone take this the wrong way)
I think it is hard to get a valid feel for advice of this nature from other RV builders.

1. - people that shortened their stick before flying have nothing to compare it too. A statement of "mine has been fine" is not valuable information.

2. - people that shorten their stick after they have been flying, are likely more resistant to say they regret doing so. Like many other modifications that are difficult to reverse, we usually hear that it was a great idea and they intend to leave it that way. You may disagree, but I have experienced this countless times.

Finally...it is rumored that a certain well known RV transition training pilot (with more RV flight time than probably any one else on the planet) who also does first flights for hire, has been known to refuse to fly a number of brand new RV's until the builders put the control stick back to the originally designed size.

Food for thought....

As others said ...

You need to have your seat cushions in place, also the mounting plate with the throttle/mixture controls installed. Then you can see what grip height works and use a pipe cutter like Vlad showed. Works like the proverbial charm. :D

Cutting Stick

Thanks for all the advise. I think I will leave it as is, at least that is after installing the new grips. Thus I will just cut enough to make the stick match the current height after installing the new PTT grips. Once I fly the plane, I can then decide if I should go any lower.

I have cut mine down several times to get the grip down where my hand wants to naturally rest. No issues with heavy forces on my -9A. I carefully removed the grip with the mic wires still attached, cut the tube with a pipe cutter (need a good one, the tube seems to be heat treated) and then cut lenghtwise with tin snips to get it off around the wires. It only takes about 15 minutes, so do it is steps and try it out.

stick

For my -8 thought it necessary to get stick plus grip to clear the lower edge of the panel. After much shoring up of reasoning and resolve the cut was easily made with a tube cutter; took 20 seconds and no mess. The Tosten clears with enuf room to operate trim switch with thumb. It looks a little short. Haven't flown but will post how it works when the magic day arrives!

Bill

I just thought I would mention...
There is a difference between shortening a stick because of the installation of a molded grip (to provide clearance from the panel bottom or maintain the same relative hand position on the stick), and shortening it so that the actual effective length (length between the lower pivot point and your hand) is changed.