Gash

Well Known Member
I've never payed any attention to the small oval cutouts in the aluminum baffle walls near cylinders #3 and #4. Yesterday I realized that one of them is open, and the other is covered by rubber baffling material. See the photos below. Can anybody tell me if these are intended to be open or covered? What is the purpose of these openings? Also, I'm curious what the function of the angle aluminum bar is just below the openings. Is it just a stiffener, or is it supposed to direct airflow as it exits these holes (assuming they're designed to be uncovered and open)?

4_zps7d162bcf.png

3_zps17e491b7.png

Cutouts in sides of cylinder baffles: Covered or uncovered?

These cutouts are used when removing #3 and #4 top Spark plugs.. Put the socket over the plug, then insert a 3/8" extention through the cutout and into the socket.
Most everyone puts either the baffling material over them from the inside, or a screw with washers and a nut, to cover the cutouts....

I've never payed any attention to the small oval cutouts in the aluminum baffle walls near cylinders #3 and #4. Yesterday I realized that one of them is open, and the other is covered by rubber baffling material. See the photos below. Can anybody tell me if these are intended to be open or covered? What is the purpose of these openings? Also, I'm curious what the function of the angle aluminum bar is just below the openings. Is it just a stiffener, or is it supposed to direct airflow as it exits these holes (assuming they're designed to be uncovered and open)?

4_zps7d162bcf.png

3_zps17e491b7.png

Baffle instructions say...

I think the plans call for a flat head screw, two large tinnerman washers (one on each side of the baffle), and a lock nut to cover these...

For wrench access.

The cutouts are to allow access of a 3/8 socket extension to pass through when removing or installing spark plugs. There are some #10 dimpled washers and #10 screws and nuts provided with the baffle kit to cover the openings. I also cut a washer made from the baffle material used with the dimpled washers to get a good seal on the baffle.

Okay thanks guys. I've never had a problem getting to top plugs on #3 and #4, so never used these openings. I'll close them up as described here.