DanH

Legacy Member
Mentor
Are W-715 wingtips still being supplied in gel-coated polyester glass, or have they been switched to the pink epoxy/glass?

WingTips

Dan; I'm not currently at my hangar to verify the material, etc. but I just received my slow build RV8 Wing kit several weeks ago - the Wing Tips are Grey, not Pink... if that helps!

Thanks guys. Are they clean/straight? Mine were circa 2006, white gelcoat, with badly warped surfaces.

Last edited:
Can't speak to the fit, but they appear to be in great shape - very clean, nice and straight.

Dan,

Our latest stuff which is 12's and a 14 seem to be a compromise. They are a gray gelcoat looking outside but sure look and smell like epoxy on the inside. Have sanded and fitted the 12 tips on the emp and they feel like epoxy to me.

Perhaps Scott can chirp in here and confirm.

Thanks guys. Are they clean/straight? Mine were circa 2006, white gelcoat, with badly warped surfaces.

I have not fit them to the wings but I did modify them for the Aero LED AeroSun VX lights. While working with them the tips seemed pretty stable and uniform in thickness with no noticeable buckling or warping.

The ones I got for my -9A were gray.

Great fit and very smooth surface...they didn't require that much prep for paint.

I'm working on my wingtips now, Dan. They are the white gelcoat ones circa 2010 or so. I was looking the other day on the Vans website to see if there was a new part numbe, but W-715-1 still seems to be the part. I wouldnt say mine are "badly warped", but I would say that they are very thin and subject to low spots where not supported. I'll be setting nut plates this week and have them on. I'll determine then if I'm going to keep them. "Get'er flyin" keeps ringing in my brain.