Different...

prkaye said:
What does it mean for a primer to "cure"? How is this different from "drying" ?
Quickie answer...

Drying is an evaporation of water and/or solvents

Curing is a chemical process that is activated before spraying, usually by mixing two parts together....

gil A

But with a single-stage primer, like a self-etching primer in rattle cans, how is the chemical process initiated? is it that the Acetone inhibits the curing reaction, and once the acetone evapourates the curing can begin?

prkaye said:
What does it mean for a primer to "cure"? How is this different from "drying" ?
My experience is that the Akzo epoxy primer I use dries or "tack dries" sufficently in less than an hour......enough so that the part can be handled and further worked without fear of smearing, marring or otherwise damaging its finish. The full cure however takes at least 24 hours or more, at which time it can be safely wiped down with strong solvents including MEK or other cleaners to remove dirt and grease.

Cure?

prkaye said:
But with a single-stage primer, like a self-etching primer in rattle cans, how is the chemical process initiated? is it that the Acetone inhibits the curing reaction, and once the acetone evapourates the curing can begin?
Does it truly "cure" or is it just hardening more as the solvents fully evaporate?

gil A

when the chemicals

have cross linked. what ever that means :eek:
i guess the photocemically reactive paints have some relation to uv exposure.

Drying...

cytoxin said:
have cross linked. what ever that means :eek:
i guess the photocemically reactive paints have some relation to uv exposure.
Yeah... but regular paint will dry hard inside a dark closet... :)

Depends on the chemistry of the paint...

gil A