lorne green

Well Known Member
So, while trying to focus on ALL the possible issues during the build, the question of what to do about a cup/water bottle holder came to mind (after all my suburban has 11 of them). Have many/any of you fabbed a cup holder?
In the spam cans I fly, I usually clamp the water bottle between my legs , but in the 7a I expect to have the stick between my legs :D Hydration being all important on a high, hot flight (hic) :eek: ;)

In the 6A, the water bottle fits right in the main gear weldment space! And it's free....

Gimbeled Cup Holders

I bought some gimbeled cup holders that attach by suction cup which I then attach to the plexi in the baggage compartment. They are accessable (I am blessed with long arms!) secure, dont spill and at the same time out of the way. Here are a few links to help find them but if you google "gimbaled cup holders" you will find numerous marine stores that sell them. I actually bought mine at Osh.

http://www.scalisemarine.com/liquidcaddy.htm

http://www.foreandaftmarine.com/CUPHOLDERS.htm

Hope this helps

I'm going with bicycle water bottle cages. They make em in everything from stainless to aluminum to carbon fiber.

I plan to use bicycle bottle cages as well, but Sam Buchanan has a couple of good pics on his website of how he integrated cup holders when he switched electric flaps.

Here's the link. It's about midway down the page.

Great Idea!

cjensen said:
I plan to use bicycle bottle cages as well, but Sam Buchanan has a couple of good pics on his website of how he integrated cup holders when he switched electric flaps.

Here's the link. It's about midway down the page.

Sam the Man...! This is a great idea for cup holders. I've been on his site a few times but never came across this pic. Thanks for sharing. :D

Below is my current "in progress" solution to cupholders. Since I had to have that stupid little tunnel covering up the fuel pump/filter and the selector valve where it is, I layed up a cupholder out of some spare carbon fiber we had laying around. I've attached it to the tunnel where I made it overlap (and you'll see some foam that has been carved at the seam to hide the transition when it's covered). I plan on cutting some rubber "fingers" at the lip of the cup holder to hold a variety of different drinks (bottles, etc..) cleanly plagarized from what some passenger vehicles use. Then, the whole thing will get covered with a thin layer of foam, then some leather to match the rest of the interior. I'll then put a nice machined ring over the top of each hole for a nice finished look....at least that's the plan - but you know how it is with "plans" :)

Currently the holes are pretty big, but they'll get a layer of 3/8" foam rubber all around the inside (like some of the can coolers are made out of) that will bring the ID right about the size of a typical soda/water bottle, along with the rubber fingers at the lip. That should securely hold my bottle of caffeine just fine. At least it worked when I hacked something similar together on the bench!

Cheers,
Stein.

cupholder.jpg