BigJohn

Well Known Member
I may be wrong about this, and if I am, somebody tell me so I can delete this post.

When I got to Page 35-06 Step 1 today, my helper Dave noticed that we were about to cover up some empty holes in the firewall with the top plate of the nose gear assembly. A search back through the fuselage instructions brought us to Page 22-02. On that page Figure 4 shows 8 CS4-4 rivets filling those holes, but there does not appear to be anything in the text that says to actually insert those rivets.

A secondary mystery is that while CS4-4 countersunk rivets are called for, they are not really necessary because the nose wheel bracket has dimples in the rear plate to accept the head of a normal non-countersunk rivet.

Anybody else notice this?

I may be wrong about this, and if I am, somebody tell me so I can delete this post.

When I got to Page 35-06 Step 1 today, my helper Dave noticed that we were about to cover up some empty holes in the firewall with the top plate of the nose gear assembly. A search back through the fuselage instructions brought us to Page 22-02. On that page Figure 4 shows 8 CS4-4 rivets filling those holes, but there does not appear to be anything in the text that says to actually insert those rivets.

A secondary mystery is that while CS4-4 countersunk rivets are called for, they are not really necessary because the nose wheel bracket has dimples in the rear plate to accept the head of a normal non-countersunk rivet.

Anybody else notice this?

There are several places in the plans where adding the final bunch of rivets is not indicated. I guess they assume at this point in the build we can figure that out.

Use the rivets the plans call for. I don't remember any instance of the plans calling out the wrong rivets.

Last edited:
CS4-4 rivets on pages 22-02 and 35-06

Good catch John. I guess I noticed the CS4-4 rivets called out on the drawing and went with that. At this point I guess they assume we know what to do if they indicate what they want on the plans. I did however apply big gobs of sealant over these rivets which turned out to be an obstruction for the nose gear attachment plate even with the dimples. I removed the sealant as the plate will cover the rivets.

Art Pennanen

Big John,
Are you sure those rivets on page 22-02 are not the ones that go to the engine mounts on the back side of the lower fire wall? Those are the only CS4-4 rivets that I see on my drawing.

22-02 Step 6

Yes, I believe that everyone above is talking about the CS4-4 rivets that go through the lower firewall and the lower engine mounts. Perhaps we were supposed to put those rivets in during step 6 on page 22-02. I did not do it back then either. Just like Big John, I noticed those missing rivets while mounting the nose gear and put them in at that time.
Joe

Yup, that's it. We are used to the text telling us specific actions to take, but in this case there is only the diagram to show us what to do. Awfully easy to miss. These are important too, since they are into the engine mount brackets. I really think it would be a good idea for them to change this page.

Anybody from Van's monitoring here? Scott?

Yup, that's it. We are used to the text telling us specific actions to take, but in this case there is only the diagram to show us what to do. Awfully easy to miss. These are important too, since they are into the engine mount brackets. I really think it would be a good idea for them to change this page.

Anybody from Van's monitoring here? Scott?

Its a good idea just to send a e-mail to vans engineering.