ed s

I'm New Here
Hello, I'm new to the forum and need help and some hand holding. After four years and a million rivets , I just hung the engine on my 9-A. Probably should have built a glider, since all I do now is sit and stare at it. Rivets I understand, motors I don't. My engine is a new D1A that I want to convert to fixed pitch. Should I remove the prop governor as well as the oil line? If so, should I order the accessory case cover and gasket that Vans lists? Can someone give me step by step instruction and a little confidence before I begin Lycoming Service Instruction 1435? Any enlightenment would be great. Ed

I'm sure that you'll get a better answer from somebody else, but yes you should remove the governor and the line. You'll have to put a plug (steel) in place of the fitting where the governor oil line goes into the front of the engine.

You will also have to puncture (don't drill) or remove the plug in the crank and put the front expansion plug back in. Here is a link to a Lycoming document that gives the details...

http://www.lycoming.textron.com/support/publications/service-instructions/pdfs/SI1435.pdf

You should be able to get several hundred dollars for the governor on Ebay or here on VansAirForce too.

Not so bad

Ed,
I did this conversion about a year ago on my Lycoming. It sounds like our comfort with engines is at about the same level. I did remove the oil line and the governor. I used the cover plate and gasket from Van's, and a steel plug in the front of the engine where the oil line used to attach. The hardest part for me was removing the front plug. Punching the hole in the rear plug was pretty easy, and hammering in the new front plug wasn't bad. I just used a thin bead of gasket maker around the edge, then used a large dowel and a plastic mallet to hammer it in. One important note. I haven't started the engine yet, so it may shoot oil like a Texas gusher when I finally do :>)
Good luck.