Capflyer

Well Known Member
Today when I started my engine for its second time one of the things to do was cycle the prop. I could not get it to cycle. There was no change in oil pressure or rpm's. The cable is hooked up properly and the arm on the govenor goes through its full motion. It is an MT prop and govenor. The new engine was sent to me ready for a CS prop. I removed the plastic plug at the flywheel that was sealing off oil from coming out before mounting the prop. Any A&P's out there have any thoughts as to why?

I'm not an A&P Mike, but.....you need to have at least 1800 RPM's to get the thing to cycle. (1790 won't do it....at least not for me).

I had the same concern after my first engine run - and man, 1800 RPM sitting static seems like an awful lot sitting in your newly minted bird!

Paul

Hmm

My prop will cycle at idle.

I have a woodward governor that came with my used engine and a Hartzell prop from Vans.

When I first started my engine, the prop would not cycle for quite a while, around 10 minutes. I suspect that oil had to circulate fully through the system, etc.

Now it works instantly.

My Blended Airfoil prop and MT governor will not cycle unless there is at least 1800 RPM.
One caution, ECI's break in instructions for new engines caution not to cycle the prop until either 5 or 10 mintes into the first flight. Something to do with certain pressures that cycling the prop puts on the cylinders while the rings or seating or on the cam lobes...I used to know but forgot the reason they gave me.
Anyway, you might want to check that out.

prop

You will need to cycle the prop several times at first to bleed the air out of the lines. Try that. Marc

sf3543 said:
One caution, ECI's break in instructions for new engines caution not to cycle the prop until either 5 or 10 mintes into the first flight.

Yes, they do say say that, but who among us would hop in their just completed plane with a brand new engine and take off without cycling the prop first? I asked the tech at ECI if he would actually do this and he started backpedalling on just how important this requirement was. If anyone else has also had this conversation with ECI I would be interested in hearing about it.

erich

Erich:

What is the danger if the blue knob doesn't work in flight?

Last edited:
As long as the prop RPM doesn't run away at full throttle, i'd have to problem taking off without cycling the prop. Cycling only gives you limited information anyway, it doesn't really tell you that the prop/governor will govern or not.

I personally didn't have a problem with it, since the takeoff and landing setting should be the high RPM setting anyway. If you didn't feel comfortable cycling the prop in flight for the first time, you could always land, cycle it and then feel better for the next flight.
I followed ECI's instructions to the letter. No use giving them an out in the event that you had a warranty situation.

Sorry, I somehow missed reading this thread after my earlier post to it. Not sure we are all talking about the same thing though:

osxuser said:
As long as the prop RPM doesn't run away at full throttle, i'd have to problem taking off without cycling the prop. Cycling only gives you limited information anyway, it doesn't really tell you that the prop/governor will govern or not.

My understanding from the ECI guidance was that cycling the prop specifically meant going through the full range of pitch allowed by the governor, so this would indeed tell you whether the governor will govern.

I guess the other folks are correct though - there is no need to change my prop pitch on the first flight? Just keep it at the low pitch/high rpm setting the whole time (30-45 minutes recommended) while buzzing around the pattern? I dont know why, but this surprises me. Any naysayers out there?

erich