n38139

Well Known Member
I am considering installing a C/S prop on my RV4 because of an engine change and just wondering what mods do I need to do to the firewall for the govenor? Are the parts available from Vans?

thx

The four I built has a CS prop.
You will have to modify the footwell center area so the governor fits. The part should be available from Vans and would include a drawing. They can probably email you that. Stainless is difficult to work with, at least it was for me, and doing this mod on a finished airplane sounds challenging. It's probably been done many times but I would leave well enough alone. It would take me way too long to make that change. You may also need to modify the cowling. Maybe someone who has done this will have a better answer. CG considerations too. Most owners with with a FP prop are pretty happy. Good luck!

You could go with an MT electric constant speed prop. All you need is a small controller mounted in the panel and a slip ring arrangement behind the flywheel.

I already have a Hartzell prop so that would be my first choice, the engine is already off and the mount it removed.

If you have a prop , then it might make sense. It should only cost about $25 to change the firewall.And a governor and its controls and maybe a different cowling. I can't remember all the cowls but some won't fit a CS prop.