swisseagle

Well Known Member
Hello

My buddy got his new 3 blade Catto prop and a spinner that fits. He installed the unit togehter with a 14lbs heavy crush plate. He bought that crush plate to work against CG problems, after switching from a Sensenich metall to a Catto two blade, long ago.

Now the situation is like this:
- Spinner has a centering stud that goes into the propeller:
Spinner%252520with%252520centring%252520stud.JPG

- Crushplate without a hole (setup still for the 2 blade, must getting lighter to about 10lbs):
Crushplate%252520without%252520hole.JPG

The big question:
Is it structurally a problem, or does someone see a problem, to make a 2.3" sized hole into the plate?

The crush plate would be a "ring" and not anymore a plate. It will see 2700 RPM and will be around 1" thick. Can it be, that there is a expanding of such a steel ring under the centrifugal forces, so that the integrity of the propeller bolts get harmed?

Thanks for any inputs.

Saber does not manufacture such a plate (with hole) and did not gave me an answer to the question above ...
The shape of the "ring" will be like any other 7" dim. crush plate, but 1" thick, and the material will be steel instead of aluminum.

Last edited:
crush plate

As of a couple years ago the Saber standard aluminum crush plate had a large hole in the center. They made me a custom aluminum plate with a 3/4" hole in the center to support my custom spinner(non RV)
There is no reason not to machine or drill a hole in the steel plate, 3/4" or larger, just make sure it is centered. Probably best to take it to a machine shop.

Machine shop

Hello jrs14855

Ok, thank you for this information. Yes we will go to a machine shop. I have a late, but not for such big stuff.