I landed my -6A with the windsock out straight (15 knots+) at 80 degrees to the runway. Hairy but it turned out well on the 2nd attempt. Watch the wingtip!
:eek:

Van's lists it at 15 KTS. With practice, 15 to 20 KTS isn't hard to get down in one piece, but not that much fun either. A lot depends on the width of the runway and whether it's grass or concrete.

Once, I landed in a crosswind that exceeded 30 KTS, but I never want to do that again. It reminded me of the saying "God looks out for children and fools!"

Thanks for the replies. I am told that the -7 has much more rudder authority than the -6 making it easier in the crosswind landing. Can anyone confirm this?

I've landed my 9A (same rudder as the 7) at just over 20kt crosswind. It could have gone much higher. How much higher I can go, well that's another story. :rolleyes:

If you are use to the handling of a Cessna in crosswinds, you will be very surprised. You can hold it on the center line quite well.

The 7(A) is an Excellent cross wind plane. Makes Cherokees and Cessnas feel like kites, by comparison. I have the big rudder. Rock solid control in both rudder and aileron. I did a 30 kt near 60 deg landing in NM. Piece of cake!

Roberta

I've often thought that, if I'm someday caught in a situation where I there's a strong crosswind component (say >25 kt) and I had to land, I'd turn and try to land into the wind. I'd either land on the grass or possibly on a taxiway if it was convenient. If the wind is strong, the ground roll will be short and touchdown speed slow. What do you guys think? Would it help or hurt my chances?

kcameron said:
I've often thought that, if I'm someday caught in a situation where I there's a strong crosswind component (say >25 kt) and I had to land, I'd turn and try to land into the wind. I'd either land on the grass or possibly on a taxiway if it was convenient. If the wind is strong, the ground roll will be short and touchdown speed slow. What do you guys think? Would it help or hurt my chances?
Land it on the runway, or at least give it a pass or two before going off field. In a pinch, you'll be amazed at how your performance rises to the occasion. These things have way more rudder authority than probably anything you've flown in the past. Crab it right down to the runway, give all the rudder you've got and put in on the runway pronto. You'll probably stop in less than 500'.

Rocket rudder

f1rocket said:
These things have way more rudder authority than probably anything you've flown in the past.
Is that also true with the rockets? Don't you guys use the RV4 rudder, which was kind of smallish? Probably changed, but just curious.

Small Rudder RV-6A

I have the small unbalanced rudder on my RV-6A and it lands surprizingly like an airplane. I collect the ATIS data and do a quick think about what the conditions are going to be but in reality I fly the conditions I am dealt and every landing is to complete the flight. It isn't an option and it isn't a problem. If anyone is landing safely, the small rudder RV-6A can do it too but you have to fly the plane not just get it close and wait for the arrival. Slip or crab or both are OK if you need them. One landing situation that got my attention is the hard slipping turn to final - man you had better leave yourself some margin because it really comes down and that little 23 foot wing does not soar out of the bottom with minimal loss upon command.

Bob Axsom