Mark Albery

Well Known Member
I'm hoping to do this in a couple of years time and have been gleaning information for some time.

One concern seems to be that when getting permission to fly non 'standard category' aircraft in other countries, that permission is usually day/VFR only.

Although I'd only set off in good weather on each leg, the chances of remaining in VMC for a whole atlantic crossing must be slim to say the least. It's made worse by being forced to 5500' or less because the NAT controlled airspace starts at 6000' and requires an IFR flight plan.

That would also mean poor VHF range, reduced efficiency and the inability to fly over a cloud layer.

I know several homebuilts have done the crossing. So how did they do it? Are there exceptions to the VFR limitation? Is it worth upgrading the kit to meet TC's more rigorous IFR requirements if you're forced to be VFR only?

I'd be especially glad to hear from anyone with practical experience of this.

Ring the master

Mark,

go to this website,

http://www.flymore.com.au/contact.html

punch in his number and have a chat. Jon is a great guy and will talk your ear off about everything you need.

You will learn about what real approaches are used internationally, how prepared you need to be for ditching and water egress and even just some common sense flying.

Thanks, yes I understand that.

I see from the standard validation that Canada gives for US homebuilts, that IFR is permitted, if allowed by the US operating limitations and equipped according to CARs or CFR pt91.205

So that leaves Greenland, Iceland and UK requirements to sort out.

I suspect an IFR certified GPS or ADF will be needed to stay legal.

Mark, just before leaving Australia I ran across an article on an Aussie who's done two Circles in his RV (a -4, if memory serves) so it can certainly be done. (He was about to begin his third...).

Sorry I don't remember his name but a great group of guys/gals to contact and get a referral from can be found here:
www.recreationalflying.com.au

Jack

Jack,

That's Jon Johansson.
I've got his book "Aiming High".
It gives a good background, but doesn't cover all the fine detail.

Jon chose to get to Europe via the Azores, that needs HF radio and lots of fuel!

Lots of fuel!

Yeah, 18 hours worth:eek:

Van gave him a letter of approval for 300 lbs of fuel in the back seat, since the authorities wanted it. Jon had gradually put more and more load back there and safely landed with 300 lbs back there, plus his wingtips for 18 hours total! When he told Van about how he incrementally loaded it, he was satisfied that Jon went about it properly.

Best,

I'm still debating whether standard fuel would do it.
The critical leg is West to East of Greenland - only 340NM and can legally be done VFR, but no alternates to Kulusuk. Your only other options are turn back or continue another 380nm to Iceland. So 800NM is about the absolute minimum range.

Does anyone know a best range for an -8; Carson speed, LOP, electronic ignition? Obviously, I'll need to establish that but my guess would be around 130 KTAS and 6 Gall/hour giving just over 900 NM on 42 Galls.

I was told a while ago that you couldn't do it as a Private Pilot anymore... You had to have a Commercial license. I haven't looked into enough regs to know if this is true, but it would be worth looking up.

I was told a while ago that you couldn't do it as a Private Pilot anymore... You had to have a Commercial license. I haven't looked into enough regs to know if this is true, but it would be worth looking up.

Doesn' look like it...

Transoceanic Flight

602.39 No pilot-in-command of a single-engined aircraft, or of a multi-engined aircraft that would be unable to maintain flight in the event of the failure of any engine, shall commence a flight that will leave Canadian Domestic Airspace and enter airspace over the high seas unless

(a) the pilot-in-command holds a pilot licence endorsed with an instrument rating;

Go the other way??

I'm not sure how having an instrument rating helps you when the (only) engine fails but no doubt someone will come up with something.

More seriously (well, a bit more seriously anyway) - Mark - what about going the other way? IIRC you are already in California......

Hope you are well and look forward to meeting you on your return to these sun kissed shores!

Chris

I'm not sure how having an instrument rating helps you when the (only) engine fails but no doubt someone will come up with something.

Chris

Believe it or not, old air mail pilots would pull the throttle back and intentionally spin down through the overcast (no gyros then) and recover in VFR:eek:, rather than pull the wings off from vertigo.

Best,

Hi Chris,

The plan is to make my return to the UK a trip to be remembered.
It's been a while since we shared your first ride in an RV. Look what it led to!

Your quick build -8 was finished very soon after that, while my slow build never quite got to the finish line before I let it go and headed west.

Compensation for me will be a very nice, well equipped RV-8 that I'm planning to pick up in a weeks time and fly 2000 miles to its new (temporary) home in L.A.

Coincidentally, my previous RV-4 is currently being packed into a container to be shipped to the UK for its new owner.

Crossing the pond, locally....

I listened to 3 or 4 guys on 122.75 as they crossed Lake Michigan yesterday in loose formation. It was interesting, one guy says my GPS says 40 miles to the nearest airport, another says see that big boat, another says slow down I can't keep up and another where is so-and-so and the response I'm right behind you. It went on and on for some time.

You could tell, l there was a bit of anxiety going on there. It got more relaxed after a while as they were over land on the east side. :)