Caveman

Well Known Member
Last fall at the LOE fly-in I was the lucky winner of a certificate, good for a $650.00 magneto overhaul / repair performed by Crossfire magneto service in Loveland, Co... My mag on the RV7 had about 300 hours on it and was running fine, so it really wasn?t in need of an inspection yet. Weighing my options, I decided to buy a used low time mag here on VAF that Mark Santoleri had advertised. I thought I?d send it in to Crossfire, have it checked out and keep it on the shelf for a spare or perhaps use it on a future project. Mark?s mag arrived and appeared as advertised. I called Crossfire, told them I?d won a certificate and told Paul Brevard my wish. He was happy to oblige, so I insured it and shipped it UPS. A week or so later Paul called me, told me he?d performed an inspection, the mag was low time as advertised, in good condition, he?d complied with a couple of service bulletins and the mag was headed back my way. Shipping was unexpectedly to be on him!
So, I get a tracking number sometime back around Thanksgiving and wait for it to show up. The mag doesn?t come. I check the tracking number and it says it was delivered. Hmmm. I call Paul and we visit about what to do. He did not insure it, but since he uses UPS quite a bit and has an account with them he says we may have some options. I go down to the local UPS office and plead my case. They have me call Crossfire back and initiate a trace on the package. I get a UPS call and they ask a few questions and I don?t here diddly after that. Over the next month or so I give up. Then out of the blue, Paul calls and asks if I?ve heard anything from UPS. I tell him no, and he says, he?s going to make it right. I told him it wasn?t his fault it didn?t get delivered and not to worry about it. He says ?no I didn?t insure it and I won?t feel right until it?s taken care of?. I was flabbergasted. Paul tells me he doesn?t have the same model mag in stock right now but when he gets one, he?ll rebuild it and send it. Two or three weeks go by and Paul calls back and says he found a mag is repairing it and it should be shipped by the end of the week. It showed up today. Enclosed in the box was a letter apologizing for the inconvenience and delay. A logbook sticker indicates the mag was cleaned, inspected in accordance with 500 hour inspection requirements. Contact kit, condenser, bearings, and impulse coupling spring replaced. All AD?s and SB?s complied with.
So, here is a guy who first of all, donates his services to the great charity event at LOE. Then when somebody else screws up, he finds a mag at his own expense and inspects and repairs (a second time mind you) and refuses to accept payment. A $650 win for me would have turned in to a $700 dollar loss if not for his generosity.
Paul doesn?t know I?m posting this, but it is the least I can do to say how glad I am to have used his services and that there is no doubt I will be a repeat customer and tell others how wonderful a person he is. Gentlemen, I highly recommend you consider Crossfire for your magneto maintenance needs.

Paul, if you read this?
Thank you, sincerely,

Joe

Very Timely Post

I will be needing a vendor for my 500 hour inspection in the near future. Thanks for the post.