Vern

Well Known Member
Deb and I took our first xcountry in our 6A yesterday. It's been years since we flew together that long. Some general observations:
>With our RV-6A slider, we hung her clothes on the canopy brace at the rear of the baggage area. She liked that idea of keeping her clothing 'fresh.'
>I had arranged all the charts-folded and in order-with a big spring clip so she could hold the charts in her lap and help navigate. She really liked having a role in the trip.
>The panel-mounted gps (396) was just another toy until she started using it. By the end of the trip, she was excited about the different menus and pages and was really into tracking our position. Coming home,a large series of thunderstorms were paralleling our track and forced us to deviate. When the 396 started showing thoses storms, she squealed with excitement. She could hardly believe that a device could show storms like that (nor could I-that 396 is wonderful !!!!). She started asking "why those clouds are red and yellow and those over there do not even show up", etc.
>I taught her to change the frequencies and run the radio. Even tho she had brought a book bag and talked about a nap, because she had a role in the flight, she said 'no way I'm going to read now-I want to look outside."
>I was so glad to be in a side by side because-in my family's case- I could involve Deb in the flight to the point she is looking forward to our next trip.She also now has understanding of why we need some upgrades in equipment,etc. If she had been in the rear 'pit of a tandem, it would have made a different outcome of our day.

"Check 3"

Vern,

That's awesome. You have just succinctly identified the reason I'm building a -7 rather than a -8.

I look forward to the day I can have my wife navigating from the 3 o'clock position. After all, she's already checked out from all the backseat driving she does when we're in the car!

If for some reason my wife doesnt like our travel when that day comes. Does Deb have a sister? ;)

Sound great Vern. Unfortunately, my wife can't even navigate in the car, so she can sit in the back :D

Rusty

13brv3 said:
Unfortunately, my wife can't even navigate in the car, so she can sit in the back

Now that sounds like my wife! The whole N-S-E-W thing eludes her... she thinks that whichever direction you're facing is North. Why? Because when you hold a map, N is always straight up in front of you... I've tried to 'splain it to her, but she just can't get it.

On the other hand, she's very encouraging about my -8 project, can't wait to travel in it, even in the back seat. She lets me store airplane bits all over the house and there's my CBR 600F4 in the garage... I think I'll keep her!

My simple rule of thumb is if you're going to travel with someone in your plane a lot, build the side by side model of your choice. It doesn't matter they are all good. If you do most of your flying alone or just fly for fun, you can't go wrong with a tandem seat airplane. Of course there are always exceptions for both. :)