jsenft

Well Known Member
If high octane no ethanol fuel is not available at a remote airport, is it OK to fill-up with 100LL?

On a cross country trip, given the selection 100LL or high octane 10% ethanol fuel, what would you use and why.

If high octane no ethanol fuel is not available at a remote airport, is it OK to fill-up with 100LL?
Yes!

On a cross country trip, given the selection 100LL or high octane 10% ethanol fuel, what would you use and why.
I would use high octane 10% ethanol fuel. Lower long term maintenance on engine like 25 hour oil change when using 100LL versus 50 hour oil change using premium unleaded.;)

Yes!

I would use high octane 10% ethanol fuel. Lower long term maintenance on engine like 25 hour oil change when using 100LL versus 50 hour oil change using premium unleaded.;)

Would use whatever is more convenient. That is usually 100LL here in the east.

Hey Jetguy, didn't Rotax change that oil change interval to 100/50?

Everyone, give feedback to FOREFLIGHT that they should also show on-airport MOGAS availability. I did and they indicated it was on their list but it could use a bump. Right now they only show 100LL and JET-A.

The word on the street at OSH last summer was if ran pure unleaded fuel you could change oil every 100 hours. However never saw that in print anywhere. So as far as I know it's still the same in all the current Rotax documentation. If you run 100LL more than 30% of the time you need to change oil every 25hrs. Less than 30% of the time then 50hrs. See this document below. Google it if you want by using the SI number in the upper right hand corner of the pic. Maybe Rotax Guru Roger Lee could comment if I'm off base.:rolleyes:

1b68f24e00714132e8e5fa02d138b080_zpsf27de779.jpg

Maybe it's too early in the morning but this document makes it perfectly unclear for me as to what should be done. :confused:

Jim

100hr oil change

Take a look at the Line Maintenance Manual Sec 05-20-00 Pg 3 at the bottom. This seems to indicate a 100 hr oil change if not using leaded fuel.

Also

If running 100LL use a petroleum based oil as opposed to 100% synthetic. Keeps the lead in suspension better.

I just flew my '12 from Albany, NY to Sebring, FL & back for the expo. Looked up the airports that supposedly have MOGAS, but was cruelly disappointed by what I found. In fact, only 1 airport (New London, VA (W90)) actually had it. I re-fuel there coming & going. Even Sebring, FL, which is a huge center for Light Sport flying, couldn't sell me MOGAS because their pump was blocked by vendors. Of course, they were delighted to sell me 100LL for $6.50 a gallon!

I believe the parameter which determines the more stringent specs for maintenance is 10% or more use of leaded fuel. IMHO, Rotax wants us using MOGAS. Fortunately, many towns now have 1 or more stations with alcohol-free hi-test. I assembled a cheap but very effective 15 gallon fuel caddy, and my bird gets nothing but pure gasoline 95% of the time; no lead, no alcohol. The absence of lead additive keeps me on the easier maintenance schedule, and the absence of alcohol additive means infinitely longer life for rubber parts, seals. I also keep the tank nearly full, as my fuel has NO water in it, whereas air does.

Just sayin'.

JRo

You could carry some Decalin with you. It isn't expensive, and it's easy to add in whenever you need to use 100LL.