WingedFrog

Well Known Member
Could someone tell me what type of crimping tool I need to crimp the pins for the Molex connector used for the landing lights? VANS instruction are not specific, just advise to use the proper crimping tool.

There are a number of crimpers out there that range from insanely expensive to really cheap. We carry one that is American made and is pretty reasonably priced (sat-018, $31) or you can try to borrow one from another builder.

They are not the same as a regular terminal so you can't use a regular terminal type crimper. That being said, if you are careful you can also solder them on with pretty good success (although crimping is preferred).

Cheers,
Stein

Hi frog, I just had the same question this week and spoke with a knowledgeable gent at Stein Air. They sell a crimper that will work. I was also told they could be soldered, which is what I did. Tin your wires and don't go overboard with the solder or the pins won't fit in the connectors. I think there is only 7 connections to make with Molex connectors. By the way, I get the feeling that Stein Air is a quality outfit and really interested in good customer service. The gent did not have to tell us about the soldering.

I bought Stein's crimper and it worked great. When you order it get a few extra pins as well, for when you inevitably pull one off.

JP, I have a number of crimping tools, some are even the high-end Molex brand. I just need to see one of the pins (male & female) to see if the crimpers I have will work. Mine are at the hangar, so let me know if I need to bring them. I will be at the hangar today.

While you have the crimper, you might want to make a test cable for troubleshooting. 3' long wire with pins on each end and an alligator clip spliced into one end. I've used it to bypass the wiring harness between the Dynon and various sensors.