dbier99

Well Known Member
Later this evening my son and I will begin replacing the ancient Alegro CHT/EGT gauge with a Vega TC-4. We were told by their tech person that if we had to extend the probe leads (to get them to the control box (RDAC) that they shoud be crimp connections NOT soldered. However, for the CAN wires that run from to the gauge pigtails (and for the power wires to the gauge and RDAC), is it okay to also use insulated crimp connections? If crimping is okay, should we us butt connectors or closed-end connectors (resemble an electrician's wire nut) or male/female insulated spade connections for easer future connect/disconnects? I'd love to limit soldering - but will do it if that is the best solution. Thoughts?

The OLC-2 connectors are cheaper from EI directly, and they include the Hex wrench. They solved my Dynon CHT and EGT issues.

Does look like a great option. Unfortunately I can't get them in time for this particular project but shouldn't have to splice any thermal coupler wiring if I am able to reuse the existing ones
If you don't need to extend probe wires, great. But if you do, use butt connectors tonight, and consider the OLC-2 if you have issues.

For the RDAC to the Gauge, butt connectors with a service loop for future disconnect/reconnect would be my choice, if needed.