AndyRV7

Well Known Member
OK, my last newb question for the day.:)

I am stuck in an apartment. I think this is the only real thing keeping me from beginning a build. So I figured I would have to try to rent a small house with a garage for the workspace. But this is going to be expensive (probably to the tune of about 140 hours of Cessna rentals each year over what I pay to rent my apartment). I seem to be painted into a kind of a corner. But I need to work this out because I am virtually certain I want to order the tail kit in the next month or two.

So I am wondering if I am overlooking any other options. Any ideas??

Thanks. Andy

OK, my last newb question for the day.:)

I am stuck in an apartment. I think this is the only real thing keeping me from beginning a build. So I figured I would have to try to rent a small house with a garage for the workspace. But this is going to be expensive (probably to the tune of about 140 hours of Cessna rentals each year over what I pay to rent my apartment). I seem to be painted into a kind of a corner. But I need to work this out because I am virtually certain I want to order the tail kit in the next month or two.

So I am wondering if I am overlooking any other options. Any ideas??

Thanks. Andy

First, in good ol' NJ, good luck finding anything affordable (house-wise). However, you may find somewhat affordable shop space. Look around for shopspace in an industrial area. You may find something larger than a garage for less than you think. Just be prepared to install lots of locks and alarms.

Don't ever think you have it bad. I am building in my Mother-in-law's garage :D

Locations

I built my RV-8 wings and most of my fuselage (the old style that required a wooden jig) in a 14ft. wide x54ft. long mobile home. Cramped---yes. Wife---no. Where there's a will---there's a way!:D

mini storage

check out mini storage,we have some in fl. I rent one to keep boat,etc..in 14x50 ft.14 ft tall with elec.open 24hrs. $500 per month.Or check out your local industrial parks,you might even find a place to live (if your single)

Cool ideas!!

Yes, NJ is expensive! How do you guys feel about building someplace other than your house? That is, someplace you have to drive to get to?

I have a windy weekend ahead, so no lessons I guess. I think I'll start to take a look around and see what I can find in the newspaper and whatnot.

ANDY,

CALL HOOTERS IN FORT LAUDERDALE, FL. ASK THEM IF THEY WILL LET YOU BUILD IN THEIR RESTAURANT? IF THEY WILL LET YOU BUILD THERE.,, AND PAY YOU TO DO THIS FOR PUBLISITY. I WILL COME DOWN AND HELP YOU BUILD YOUR PLANE. I AM SURE SOME OF THE SINGLE EXPERIENCED RV BUILDERS WILL JOIN US, IN THIS ADVENTURE AND YOUR QUEST FOR RV STARDOME.

Do you have a spare bedroom? Are you on the ground floor? Do any of your neighbors play load music at all hours of the day and night? Do you mind having a work bench in your living room for a few months? I'll stop here...for the moment...

Last edited:
ANDY,

CALL HOOTERS IN FORT LAUDERDALE, FL. ASK THEM IF THEY WILL LET YOU BUILD IN THEIR RESTAURANT? IF THEY WILL LET YOU BUILD THERE.,, AND PAY YOU TO DO THIS FOR PUBLISITY. I WILL COME DOWN AND HELP YOU BUILD YOUR PLANE. I AM SURE SOME OF THE SINGLE EXPERIENCED RV BUILDERS WILL JOIN US, IN THIS ADVENTURE AND YOUR QUEST FOR RV STARDOME.

Looking for an excuse to go sailing, Jay?

ANDY,

So simple ...yet brilliant!:D:D:D:D

I found a local pilot with a C-150 that wanted to share a hangar. We shared for around 2 years and split the rent 50-50. A C-150 in a standard hangar leaves lots of room around the walls. I was able to do everything up to the first installation of the wings.

Karl

Do you have a spare bedroom? Are you on the ground floor? Do any of your neighbors play load music at all hours of the day and night? Do you mind having a work bench in your living room for a few months? I'll stop here...for the moment...

Trust me, I thought this through already. I'm on the second floor, with a livingroom window that I would be happy to replace twice. But it would be the noise that is the problem!! I sure would save a lot on my cable bill too!

I found a local pilot with a C-150 that wanted to share a hangar. We shared for around 2 years and split the rent 50-50. A C-150 in a standard hangar leaves lots of room around the walls. I was able to do everything up to the first installation of the wings.

Karl

I guess I am going to look into hanger space too. I had envisioned picking up a nice 2-seat trainer when i got through my pilot training ...something I could log hours in. So maybe it would be a good time to start looking for the space.

It's a shame because I lived in the first floor of a 2-family house for the last 8 years. I had a closed-in porch that was my shop for all kinds of projects. But I had to relocate this year. Too bad!

I think Karl has the right idea. You might want to post an ad at the local pilot lounge...or walk the hangar rows with a cardboard sign and puppy dog eyes. :)

Seriously, you might be able to get someone to help you out this way. I'd consider it myself under the right circumstances.

Last edited:
I know it's not in NJ, but I thought the idea was creative. It's actually a garage that you purchase. (Like a house)

http://www.garagetown.com/

24 Hour Access
Cliamte Controlled
Bathrooms
Even showers for when you need to get cleaned up.

It's a neat idea. But I just found the prices for Texas, they're expensive!

Phil

Last edited:
I faced the same dilemma as you. In college, in an apartment with absolutely no room (three other room mates in a very small 2 bedroom apartment). Looked around, and found that the local EAA chapter had some space available for pretty cheap rent compared to what I would pay elsewhere. Its inside a larger hangar upstairs, and theres enough room to do everything but attach the wings (I think). RV-8 tail is on order! Check around, visit the local EAA chapter, and ask others about renting a space out in a hangar. Where theres a will theres a way. :cool:

So far it seems to me that work space is like hard disks. They have two states; new or full, no matter what size they initially start with. Meaning, as long as you have the space for the part you are making and yourself, you actually have enough space.

It's individual I guess, but for me having to share my time with work, family and other "distractions", the only way I can work on my project is to have it in or very close to my house (not farther away than my garage).

What you have to compare is the rent you are paying now for your apartment + rent for workspace + travelling expenses and also travelling time to the workspace, since that time makes you have to rent the workspace longer, and can add up to a very large amount over several years. Compare all these expenses with that house where you have 100% access all the time. I think you will find that the difference is not that large, and may even come out favourable vs the house. You will also finish a whole lot faster.

Last edited:
Live in the hangar

Go to the nearest EAA chapter and start making friends. You'll be amazed at what you can dig up. A guy I know moved his Camper into the hangar he rented and lived there, in the hangar in his camper! With his airplane in view from the dining area. I built my Cassutt wing in my living room and moved the couch and TV to an unused bedroom temporarily. As Mannan did, other guys have built the fuselage in a mobile home and removed the end wall on a nice Saturday to push it out. With a couple of carpenter buddies, they put the wall back....all in one day. Where there's a will, there's a way.

Good luck....and welcome to RV land,

Thanks for the feedback guys. It dawned on me last night that I used to rent a garage for a car I had at one time. It was in town and cost about $150. I would have to figure out the power supply and light issues, and it's not going to be climate controlled, but at least they exist.

I like that idea of GarageTown too. Very novel idea. Until you own a nice boat or car or plane, you probably think the owners are crazy.

I joined Eaa a little while back and have been eyeballing the local chapter meeting (which happens to be at the airport I am training at). So I need to work that into my project too. I'm sure a lot of good would come from it.

If not for the noise, I would start this project in my apartment. I could probably get right up to the fuse before I had to move out. Who knows, I guess I have to learn some more about the build first. I am assuming you need to use some pnumatic tools and other loud hand tools.

Looks like the wind is a little lighter today than I expected, so I am off to my lesson. I may raom around the hangers a little while I am there today and see what I can learn.

Hanger

If you can rent a hanger, it may be the best for a couple of reasons.

When the plane is done, is not the time to start looking for a hanger, so start looking now. If you are able to get one, you can use if for building, or storing sub assemblies during the build, if you end up building elsewhere. And you can probably find others who will be willing to rent space from you-----helps keep the cost down.

Lots of options there.

NJ Hangars

The Typical wait for a hanger in NJ is 5 years. They also cost between 400 and 600 a month. They are also not heated. And they won't let you put heat in. You get no water and only a 10-15 amp power supply. Andy would be better off looking for a small shop in an industrial area near him. He lives in Union county. There should be plenty in Plainfield, S. Plainfield, Union, Berkley Hts. He just has to look around. He may have to go to a commercial realtor as a lot of places are not managed by their owners.

The Typical wait for a hanger in NJ is 5 years. They also cost between 400 and 600 a month. They are also not heated. And they won't let you put heat in. You get no water and only a 10-15 amp power supply. Andy would be better off looking for a small shop in an industrial area near him. He lives in Union county. There should be plenty in Plainfield, S. Plainfield, Union, Berkley Hts. He just has to look around. He may have to go to a commercial realtor as a lot of places are not managed by their owners.

Yep, I ran into some of this today at my lesson. Didn't know they cost that much, buthe waiting list part anyway!!

I'll grab the paper tomorrow and see what is in it. I remember a lot of commercial rentals when I was looking for a garage for my car that time.

The Typical wait for a hanger in NJ is 5 years.

EXACTLY!!!!!

Which is why I stated that the time to look for a hanger is not when you get the plane done.

As to the lack of heating and water etc, sounds like they wont be the best for building. Although a determined person can get around that if needed--------

Anyway, I just think he should consider a hanger if on comes up, for the reasons stated above,---------who knows what the situation will be when he gets the plane done????

Andy, I wish you good luck in your searching.

Last edited:
Thanks Mike. I am getting a very familiar feeling. That is, I am remembering all the reasons I've wanted to leave NJ the past few years. Just the job keeping me here now. It is way too crowded and way too expensive. Everytime I visit my family in SC, FL, or CA, I look at all the wide open spaces and wish I didn't have to go home ...not to mention the approaches are much less intimidating!!

This is all good info. Glad to be involved now!!:)