phenriks

I'm New Here
While back riveting a stiffener to the right elevator skin, I unfortunately hit the rivet while it was off the backriveting plate, creating a rather nasty crease in the skin from where the edge of the plate hit the skin.

I am not bothered by the aesthetics, and I will not start repairing anything given that it will be easier just to have Van's ship me a new skin.

But I would like to have some expert opinion on whether I have created a crease where a micro crack will start forming, or should just ignore it and build on?

Thanks, Peter

elevatorcrease6lo.jpg

Well, I am not a professional... but I did stay at a Holiday Inn last week!

Structurally, it is fine for now.

Aesthetically... ugly.

Practically, it is comprimised.

Reasonably, it is fine.

If it cracks later, stop drill it.

There is just no telling what it might do in the future.

If it keeps on cracking or if it bothers you, redo it now.

The fact of the matter is... it ain't on the plans!

:rolleyes: CJ

Ok

You are OK. Just fill when you are finishing the skins for paint. The skins do not move back and forth and the crease does not contact the edge of the skin.

When I first started, my partner and I got a bit too loose with the dimpler C-frame and puched a hole an inch from the hole we intended to dimple. After we started breathing again :) we asked an "old pro" and his response was "Been there done that, just fill with epoxy or rivet. No big deal."

It is a part of the process and you will have the occasional ding while building. I have yet to meet anyone who has drilled, deburred, and set over 9,000 rivets ( rough avg of total) without 2 or 3 mishaps.

If you want to see how good (ie; experienced) a builder is, start by looking at his tail feathers. Sometimes you can tell which one they did first. :)

Happy riveting.

Thanks for all the input

Appreciate all the help here, I also got similar reply from Ken@Van's, namely that it is 'unlikely that damage this slight will cause any problem. We
see airplanes incur worse in service all the time.'

So, I will happily go ahead and build on,

Thanks, Peter