I know this can open up "a pandoras box" here, but what is the possibility of turning , while still in kit form of course, a RV-6 side by side to a tandem seater. Seems the RV's are so much similar in length and width that it might be achievable. Just anyones thoughts would be apprciated. Thanks, Tom in Ga.

I'm sure you could do anything you want, but why would you want to go to all that extra effort? Why not just sell the -6 kit and buy a -8?

You'd have to redesign the interior, seats, controls, re-analyze the structure, redesign the canopy, and when it's all done you'd probably have a huge CG issue since the -6 wasn't designed to have someone sitting in what would essentially be the baggage area. While you're at it, check out the width/length specs for the cockpit on Van's site because they're not real close.

RV-6 = 43" wide RV-8 = 33" wide (both measurements at the widest point)
RV-6 = 47" long RV-8 = 81" long

Personally I think you'd have a hard time making it work.

PJ

Very Serious

This may sound wrong but it is intended very seriously - If you have to ask in an open forum like this, you should not attempt it. There is no question in my mind that it can be done successfully but the potential for failure is very high and the careful optimization developed into the airplane will be lost. In 1996 I went to North Plains, Oregon and saw the fuselage of the RV-8 that was in development at that time - it was very different from anything that had preceeded in the RV line and the slow, very careful, development approach was obvious. On the otherhand, Van himself has taken available structures from past airplanes that he has built and incorportated them into new development efforts. This demonstrates that major modifications are doable but if you have to ask your question in an open forum like this it gives one the impression that it is not a good idea for you to attempt it. However, I do not know your background and I cannot ignore the fact that starting with an existing design and changing it (through several iterations) is how Van got started (if one is to believe the company supplied history). Further, several derived "Rocket" and "Tiger" designs exist because someone with the right amount of desire and ability just took up the task and did it. In direct answer to your question - the possibility is 100%.

Bob Axsom

Last edited:
Tiger

Bob said:
Further, several derived "Rocket" and "Tiger" designs exist because someone with the right amount of desire and ability just took up the task and did it.
What's a "Tiger"?

Bruce Bohannon's Airplane

It's actually called "The Exxon Flyin' Tiger". It is the one that Bruce Bohannon developed to set the time to climb records. It is supposedly based on an RV-4. The last change I heard about was lengthening the wing to get to 50,000 feet. It was no successful before or after that change in attempts to reach that altitude. The change that he is reported to be working on now is in entirely new wing. I have not seen the design but I have heard it is a tapered, high aspect ratio, carbon fiber wing inspired by astronaught Robert Gibson's success on his Formula 1 racer.

Bob Axsom

Last edited:
Bob,

I agree with your post, and I'd like to throw one more comment out there:

There's a big difference between swapping a set of wings or beefing up the airframe to handle a larger engine/more speed and changing from a side-by-side configuration to a tandem. It would requre an almost complete re-design of the aircraft from the ground up. It certainly wouldn't be an RV any longer when you were done.

PJ

However, remember that the first side-by-side RV was a customer modified RV-4, not Vans....
It could be done, but is it worth the effort? Especially with the RV-8 around...

I wouldn't even think about it.... :)

...gil in Tucson

az_gila said:
However, remember that the first side-by-side RV was a customer modified RV-4, not Vans....

IIRC, the first "RV-6" was built by Art Chard from prliminary drawings from Van, so Gil's statement above doesn't really convey the whole story!

If you really want to modify an SBS to tandem, then go ahead. Be prepared to spend many hours (or years) making it work, and to have the end result not perform as well as an 8. The airframe cost of an RV is often less than 1/3 of the overall cost. So sell the 6 and get an 8 kit. In the end it will take a lot less time and probably cost less.

Pete