lorne green

Well Known Member
Tonight I learned a lesson. Many of us know of the wonderful properties of crazy glue (cyanoacrylates). Well, I needed
to slip 10L washers on either side of the elevator belcrank push-rod bearing on my 7. Because this is in a tight area, I dragged out my crazy glue to apply the smallest amount of cyanoacrylate to the left and right of the bearing prior to bolting to the belcrank....but remember I must maintain perfect washer alignment for the bolt travel. I slid the bolt in to the bearing with the washers in place and carefully placed a drop of glue where the washers meet the bearing. Holding it there for just a few seconds and wahl-la (as they say in Quebec) I have bonded the bolt and washers to the bearing centre :eek: No amount of tugging on this would release it so pulled out my air rivet gun and gave it a shot. It released easily using that technique. Thankfully, no damage to the nylon within the center of the bearing...it rotates normaly. In the future, in tight areas like this, I going to employ the thin wire method of "threading" washers or some simular method.:eek:

..yep..

cyano is not a gap-filling glue and its very thin and designed to wick into small gaps and thin places; its very good at that and many a time I have come, er, unstuck(!) trying to 'just get a tiny amount here'. I accidentally glued a 1mm sq piece of plywood right in the center of my eyeball once when I was a little younger... its amazing how that stuff will stick to anything!! :eek:

Its also good for emergency sticky plaster over cuts and abrasions, and finger protection when rock climbing!!:D

One of my occasional uses for "super glue" is bonding a washer onto the back of a nut to help ease installation difficuties in hard to reach areas. To insure that the washer is properly centered on the nut, I temporarily thread a screw or bolt (whatever the case may be) with just enough thread protrusion for the washer to find its center. In seconds, the super glue sets up and then I remove the temporary screw (or bolt) from the now joined washer and nut.

EZ Turn

Another thought: EZ Turn works really well for these situations. I've often put a little bit on a nut or washer and stuck it to my finger to allow "one finger holding" of it. This is the old "Fuel Lube".

You can buy cyano in various thicknesses from a hobby shop that sell RC models. The best are the Zap products as they have a very long shelf life. For the thicker glues get a bottle of accelerator as the thicker glues take a little longer to dry than the thin watery stuff. They also make de-bonder if you make a mistake or glue your fingers together. Don

fuel lube

Another thought: EZ Turn works really well for these situations. I've often put a little bit on a nut or washer and stuck it to my finger to allow "one finger holding" of it. This is the old "Fuel Lube".

Great idea...sticky, messy, gummy, goooy....perfect! Thanks!

A little dab'll do ya

Use only the tiniest drop of Super Glue, off to one side, to hold washers and nuts together on assembly. Why? The glue takes up space in the stack. If/when if crumbles and falls out the bolt will lose proper tension.

acetone?

Acetone is also a good debonder for CA.

Acually I wanted to avoid trashing the center gimble. Although likley made of nylon...I couldn't take a chance it was made of plastic (acetone and plastic mmmmm not pretty)

Steven: I actually thought I was aplying the smallest amount. Tight area, too much glue. Going to try my fuel lube tonight...bet that'll work.

First Aid....

Darn near cut the end of my fingertip off about a month ago out at our hunting ranch....cutting open a bag of corn. When it wouldn't stop bleeding, while our medical supplies were sparse, I decided to tough it out and close the wound with Super Glue. It felt like holding a blow torch to the cut, but in the end, it sure worked well. No stitches (no facility anywhere close to do so) and it is almost fully-healed right now.

Sure it's not like the 'medical' super glue they use to close cuts, but in a scary situation in the middle of a 3,000 acre ranch, it worked!

OK, not RV related in this post, but perhaps it will help someone else later down the road.

Take care,