Don Jones

Well Known Member
I am building the engine for my 9A and the crank would not pass SB-505.
I know it really doesn't have to for an experimental, but I would sleep better knowing it doesn't have pits on the inside of it.

Mike at Rick Roman's said mine would be fine for an experimental and it only had a few pits left after grinding the bore out to the max, he just couldn't certify it.

Do any of you now fly with a crank that isn't certified, IE: won't pass the service bulletin?
Do you trust it?

Crank

I am building the engine for my 9A and the crank would not pass SB-505.
I know it really doesn't have to for an experimental, but I would sleep better knowing it doesn't have pits on the inside of it.

Mike at Rick Roman's said mine would be fine for an experimental and it only had a few pits left after grinding the bore out to the max, he just couldn't certify it.

Do any of you now fly with a crank that isn't certified, IE: won't pass the service bulletin?
Do you trust it?

Whatever gives you a warm fuzzy feeling over the mountains;)------:eek:
If you fly 200hrs. per year, It'd probably be good till TBO..........But if you want to sell it, you're obligated to tell the buyer and it will reduce the value more than what it will cost you to replace the crank now.
My two cent's worth.

Use it for an Air-boat.

We should all require an airworthy engine. It the crankshaft exceeds the limits and cannot earn that Yellow Tag then don't use it.

Who wants a crankshaft failure with family on board? For me, the words experimental are for the Airframe. Crankshafts are the foundation of your engine and they should be yellow tagged (factory serviceable) or new.

Never skimp on your engine, fuel system or propeller. The upholstery?..sure..the paint scheme?...ok...

JMO

I say use it, go with a wood prop or a Whirlwind and you will never approach the stress limits with a slightly pitted crank. I will bet there are a bunch of GA airplanes flying around with unknowingly pitted cranks.

Call Aircraft Specialties...

They have a repair process for the 505. I had my crank fixed by them and yellow tagged. Cost $175.00 if you have other work done to the crank and $250 if they only repair to the 505.

Just re-read your original post. I guess if Rick Roman's ground it already and there were still pits that were too deep I guess your out of luck. If their that deep, you might want to sell it to the airboat guys. You might want to send it to Aircraft Specialties anyway to get a second opinion.... New cranks are off the chart expensive and good used ones are rediculous high as well.

Last edited:
It's actually funny....

Call Aircraft Specialties...

They have a repair process for the 505. I had my crank fixed by them and yellow tagged. Cost $175.00 if you have other work done to the crank and $250 if they only repair to the 505.

Just re-read your original post. I guess if Rick Roman's ground it already and there were still pits that were too deep I guess your out of luck. If their that deep, you might want to sell it to the airboat guys. You might want to send it to Aircraft Specialties anyway to get a second opinion.... New cranks are off the chart expensive and good used ones are rediculous high as well.

So far I have called 3 or 4 certified aircraft parts suppliers including AERO and all of them have a couple of non- sb-505 cranks they would be happy to sell you for amounts from $1500-$2800 bucks. I can get a new ECI from Dallas for $3800. Seems weird they are selling un-airworthy parts even if you tell them it is for a certified application----What's up with that?

I actually found a smoking deal on a yellow tag, PID (SB-505) crank in Alaska. I just can't bring myself to roll the dice and send the money to someone advertising on Craigslist. Especially since he only wants $1700 for it:eek:

Last edited:
SB505

Does 505 apply to 150HP engines? Or is it just 160 HP?

The AD & SB paper work that came with my used o-320E2A 150HP engine shows compliance with SB505.

Don't know if it was required for this engine but I'm glad it passed.

Dave
-9A finish kit
N514R reserved

The Lycoming SB...

Does 505 apply to 150HP engines? Or is it just 160 HP?

...is applicable to all O-320's and O-360's without a solid crank...

http://www.lycoming.textron.com/support/publications/service-bulletins/pdfs/SB505B.pdf

The FAA's AD has a different applicability...

AD 98-02-08

Textron Lycoming: Amendment 39-10291. Docket 94-ANE-44.
Applicability: Textron Lycoming 320 series limited to 160 horsepower, and 360 series, four cylinder reciprocating engines with fixed pitch propellers; except for the following installed in helicopters or with solid crankshafts: HO-360 series, HIO-360 series, LHIO-360 series, VO-360 series, and IVO-360 series, and Models O-320-B2C, O-360-J2A, AEIO-360-B4A, O-360-A4A, -A4G, -A4J, -A4K, -A4M, and -C4F. In addition, engines with crankshafts containing "PID" stamped on the outside diameter of the propeller flange are exempt from the inspection requirements of this AD.

http://www.airweb.faa.gov/Regulator...E7B86DE103CB30E78625684D006644B5?OpenDocument