Charles in SC

Well Known Member
I am about ready to mount my prop. I have a new IO 360 M1b bought through Van's. My question is about what I need to do to get it ready for a constant sped prop. I think all I need to do is remove the sheet metal plug in the end of the crank. Is this correct? or is there no way to tell until I get the plug out and look inside to see what is in there? Should I see something with a hole in it?
I hope this makes sense.
Thanks in advance!

For constant speed operation, the rear plug must be "whole". i.e. NO hole!
Front plug must be removed.

Plug

Do a search using Lycoming crankshaft-you will find some pictures that show the front main bearing area, which is quite long. The rear plug is near the rear of the front main bearing area.
A search using Lycoming crankshaft plug will produce some pictures looking straight down the bore of the crank with the front plug removed.
If your engine was configured for fixed pitch there are two possibilities: the aft plug may be absent or the aft plug may have a hole in it to allow passage of oil in the fixed pitch configuration.
An intact aft plug must be installed for constant speed configuration. The aft plug is behind the small oil cross tube and you will need to have someone with good Lycoming skills install the new tube. An engine shop would be the best option.

Review Lycoming Service Instruction 1435 for advice:
http://www.lycoming.com/Portals/0/t...Fixed Pitch Propeller and Vice Versa; ....pdf

Not sure if it helps, but I have a few pics of my HIO-360-A1F6D variant. Here's a shot with the front plug out, it's my understanding I have the not so common Allen head plug in my crank that I remove for fixed pitch.

2F4FE488-FB41-4E0D-9311-28D31AD9502C_zpsrhwdsnuv.jpg

6EA78EB3-9F58-4C69-AC6D-F5543F27DE1B_zpsptesq0va.jpg

3AEDF646-CFC4-48C3-B3CE-2D75ADB71782_zpszmccrbmc.jpg

For the Vans procured M1B

All you need to do is remove the front plug.

I took a 1/4" and drilled part way to make the material thin enough to punch a hole with an awl. Remove the shavings. It was too thick to just thick and was hard on the awl without the drilling first, but not all the way through!

Then threaded a slide hammer in it and about 3 slides and the plug was coming out.

Put the hole in the center or it will get jammed sideways on exit, easier if close to center.

Just the way I did it (and a friends), YMMV.

BTW - some real nasty looking oil will come out.

Thanks crabandy for the pictures. I pulled out the plug today and it appears that mine is good to go for the constant speed prop. The rear plug is solid and there are two tubes like the one in the picture above.
Thanks everyone for the help!