777Dave

Well Known Member
My O-360 has a hollow crank and the plug is seeping oil. Not serious but messy and annoying. I'm going to replace it and wondering about the best way to seal the new plug. Any tips on replacement would be appreciated.

Originally thought it was the nose seal but it is tight.

Thanks

Which plug are you talking about>

My O-360 has a hollow crank and the plug is seeping oil. Not serious but messy and annoying. I'm going to replace it and wondering about the best way to seal the new plug. Any tips on replacement would be appreciated.

Originally thought it was the nose seal but it is tight.

Thanks

If it is the front plug, I think you need to remove it and make sure that the rear plug is punctured. I have an O-360 with a hollow crank and had a very small amount of oil on the bottom of my starter ring. I pulled the prop and found that the front seal was leaking a bit. There is a Lycoming SB that says with a hollow crank and FP the rear plug has to be punctured to relieve oil pressure against the front plug. Mine was not punctured. I did that and put in a new front plug and all seems to be well now.

If this is not the plug you are talking about, then please ignore all of the above!!! :)

Yup, front plug. I plan to confirm that the other plug has been punctured but figure that after about 500 hours it would have blown by now if not.

Any other ideas on sealing?

Yup, front plug. I plan to confirm that the other plug has been punctured but figure that after about 500 hours it would have blown by now if not.

Any other ideas on sealing?

Mine had a very minor leak and I simply cut a six inch long piece of wood that would just fit down the hole and wacked it with a six pound hand sledge hammer. No more leak.