Berchmans

Well Known Member
What is the best way to remove the plug in the crankshaft for installation of a constant speed prop.

Take a ball peen hammer & turn the blunt round end to the plug. Sit the hammer against the plug centered and then smack the ball peen with another dead blow hammer one or two good blows. Then take a magnet and lift the plug right out.

Sounds brutal but it works like a charm....

Last edited:
Maybe more to it...

If you are converting it over to C/S, I think you will need to also install a plug at the back of the crank aft of the little oil tube, and that will mean disassembly. If running F/P now there is either no plug back there or it has had a hole punched in it. Check me but that's the way I remember it.
Tim

If you are converting it over to C/S, I think you will need to also install a plug at the back of the crank aft of the little oil tube, and that will mean disassembly. If running F/P now there is either no plug back there or it has had a hole punched in it. Check me but that's the way I remember it.
Tim

People claim this can be done without dis-assembly. Never seen it done however...looks hard to me.

I assume it has both plugs...since I have pulled the forward one yet I dont know for sure...it was ordered with C/S Prop as same time so I am betting they did it right. Not ready to hang prop yet but just looking ahead...cowling this weekend...

plug

I installed the rear plug. We built a custom drift that works very well. I still have the tool and if someone would like to borrow it they are certainly welcome. I am in northern Il. but ups goes everywhere.The tool is a piece of DOM tubing machined to fit the I.D. of the plug and its O.D. guides inside the crankshaft. Then a slot is milled in it for the oil line.I used it on a O-360 A1A. Ron

A little operating experience: Put a bucket under the end of the crank and expect a cup or two of oil to plop out.

Called the factory...My lycoming is set up for constant speed with the proper back plug. Engines are shipped with the front plug regardless of set up so they don't leak residual oil.

Burke,

A&P showed me how to take out front plug.

Drill #30 hole.
Do not go all the way through plug.
Use dent puller and give it one or two slams and
it comes right out.

Clean with rag to get any metal flakes out of crank.

Hope it helps.