WAM120RV

Well Known Member
Hi,

Simple question I hope.......... what do the experts recommend to prevent corrosion on the crankshaft flange before fitting the flywheel and prop if anything? I am concerned about the dissimilar metals, alum/steal if any moisture gets between them.

If your engine is new/fresh, there should be a nice cadmium plating on it. It should be enough protection. It also gives a galvanic buffer between the steel flange and the aluminum flywheel. For sure don't paint the forward face & pilot.

If your engine is new/fresh, there should be a nice cadmium plating on it. It should be enough protection. It also gives a galvanic buffer between the steel flange and the aluminum flywheel. For sure don't paint the forward face & pilot.

Same question I have. My clad plating is worn off and I did find a little corrosion on the flange, I cleaned it up using Corrosion-X, there?s no pitting. How can I protect my flange?

Very, very LIGHT, SEE THROUGH coat of zinc chromate primmer.
Good Luck,
Mahlon
"The opinions and information provided in this and all of my posts are hopefully helpful to you. Please use the information provided responsibly and at your own risk."

Good Luck,
Mahlon
"The opinions and information provided in this and all of my posts are hopefully helpful to you. Please use the information provided responsibly and at your own risk."

Thank you Sir, will do!

Thanks

Its an old engine which I had rebuilt a long time ago. I has been pickled and I did the crankshaft AD today and the inside was fine. A little suface rust on the face of the flange easily cleaned off...................so zink chromate it will be.

Thanks Mahlon

Zink phosphate?

Good Luck,
Mahlon

My maintenance shop hear on the field says you can?t get Zink Chromate any more but will sell me Zink phosphate. Will this be ok?