RV8Squaz

Well Known Member
Hey Guys
The most recent Craftsman Club sale flyer has a new product. It is a multifunction digital level similar to the Smart Tool. It comes in 10" and 24" models. I always wanted one of those Smart Tools but found the $100+ discouraging.. The best part of the Craftsman models is the price: $34.99 for the 10" and $44.99 for the 24".

I was a little leery of it since it's made in China for Sears. However I figured I couldn't lose with a $35 price tag. So, I bought one. The reason I chose the the 10" vs the 24" is that I figured it would be easier to place atop a flight control. If I ever needed length I could just put it atop a longer lever or just buy the 24" model too at that price.

I got to use it yesterday while setting my wing incidence and I must admit it works rather well and appears to be well made. I really liked some of the extra features. It has bubble levels, a lasar pointer, and a scale at the bottom. When you first apply power, it shows the temperature. There is no calibration required or possible. It always starts at 0 deg when level. It has beeping and memory functions and will convert to % slope and rise over run (in/ft). The best feature is the zero feature. You can make it display zero at any angle and give a relative angle from there. This is very useful for flight control deflection measurments.... no adding/subtracting. Overall I give this new Sears product a big thumbs up!!! The part nos. are 48292 and 48293 for the 10 and 24" models respectively.

Jerry

I use the 24" Stabila (Smart Tool) for my work when I verify slope of clean steam and deionized water piping during pharmaceutical facility validations. The stabila does all the same things except temperature (which I have other much better calibrated instruments for) If I had it to do all over again, I would get as short a level as possible, as it is more versatile. Like the A&P's I have to calibrate every year to NIST standards for traceability, which is probably why the A&P's calibrate also. Calibration of the level costs about $90 (I spend probably $800 a year in various equipment calibrations). Most big cities have companies that perform calibration, otherwise the instrument can be sent out (like I have to do for my laser range finder - accurate to 3mm at 600ft!).

Wow, Sears just put them on sale here for $39 & $49. Might have to wait till after the sale for them to go back down.

Break out the bongo bucks

Latest Craftsman Club flyer showed up today, on sale 3/31 to 4/7 at the $35 / $45 price.

Looks like a "Happy Birthday to Me" purchase in my future . . . :D

I bought mine!

catmandu said:
Latest Craftsman Club flyer showed up today, on sale 3/31 to 4/7 at the $35 / $45 price.

Looks like a "Happy Birthday to Me" purchase in my future . . . :D

Thanks for the 'heads up' guys!