guccidude1

Well Known Member
Friend
Guys: Just finished up the fourth annual condition inspection on my -9A, 695 hrs. I found that both steps were once again cracked on the inboard side, from forward to aft, just below the repair weld from two years ago. Has anyone managed to repair these permanently? I'm considering fabricating a .062" 4130 strap full width at the top and necking down to the center about three inches long on the inside of each step. Any better ideas, short of permanently removing them? Dan

Cracked Steps

I've just replaced the passenger side step again, 12 months after repairing it the last time. After removing the step from the fuselage, I had the welder beef up the top area significantly, by adding material onto both sides, then heat treating the welded area to normalize the joint.
After the first breakage, I installed re-enforcements and AN3 bolt Nut plates for mounting the step. Additionally, I put an inspection panel in the baggage compartment floor to get at the hidden bolt. This allowed fast removal of the step the second time it broke (15 minutes to remove).
Now I have two right side steps, one on the plane, and a spare. I also have all the materials ready to modify the left side step attachments, but have yet to need them....
So what's causing these to break? Vibration? Bouncing onto the step causing compression failures? I only have 555 Hrs on this RV-7A, and replaced the right side step twice....

Guys: Just finished up the fourth annual condition inspection on my -9A, 695 hrs. I found that both steps were once again cracked on the inboard side, from forward to aft, just below the repair weld from two years ago. Has anyone managed to repair these permanently? I'm considering fabricating a .062" 4130 strap full width at the top and necking down to the center about three inches long on the inside of each step. Any better ideas, short of permanently removing them? Dan

Are you guys aware of anyone making better after market steps?

I have a cherokee that still has the original step from 1973 and it is still in great shape. It seems like someone would have come out with a better mouse trap on this one by now.