Bavafa

Well Known Member
Well, the unthinkable has happened, I found a very small crack in my canopy. It is the first screw on the left (front) side and the crack is not visible from outside only inside as the outside over the crack is covered with carbon fiber and paint . I don't know for how long it has been there, possible a long time but I am wondering if I should stop drill it. It is a it is a star like crack with multiple runs (about 1/8" long runs)
So, what size drill bit do I use and would a normal drill bit work OK? What glue should I use to fill the hole?

I must add that when I run my finger nail on the inside, I do not detect/feel the crack and I believe it is only on the outside portion of the plexi which is cover by paint and carbon fiber material but it is not visable at all from outside.

I appreciate all comments and advise.

Last edited:
maybe leave it alone?

If there is a star fracture that is covered with bonded-on carbon fiber/epoxy, I wonder if that reinforcement alone would be sufficient to keep the crack from growing and maybe the best thing would be to leave it alone.

If the star pattern has several legs, some of the cracks will probably grow while you are stop drilling others. In the end, it might be better to leave it and see what happens.

A picture would help, particularly with a ruler up next to the crack for scale!

Paul
I doubt these cracks would show up in a picture. I had to use a magnifying glass (the type goes over your head) to look closely to determine if it is a crack which it is :( But I will take a shot at it and see how it will show up.

If the star pattern has several legs, some of the cracks will probably grow while you are stop drilling others. In the end, it might be better to leave it and see what happens.

Steve,
That is a good point about the star that may grow in the process of drilling it.

If I had to stop drill it, how far way from the crack is typical for stop drilling a plexi glass. Alternatively, I suppose I could try to use some bonding material/resign on the inside as well to reinforce it.

Last edited:
A stop-drill hole is usually...

....right at the end of a crack and its outer circumference absorbs the loads, stopping the crack from going further,,,usually:cool:

I've also seen guys use a red hot piece if safety wire to melt a stop drill hole if you're concerned with the crack growing by using a drill.

Best,