Larrybia

I'm New Here
Has anyone experienced cracking in the step at the inner weld to the fuselage flange? I have 120 hours on the aircraft and have a 2" crack just below the weld on the fuselage side. The step was never hit. Does anyone know if the crack could be welded over? I have contacted Vans and I am waiting for an answer.

Yes there have been many of these and it can be TIG'd. Ive done a couple for folks myself.

For some reason, the only 4 of these I have personally seen have been the PAX side, which by all the owners accounts, hardly ever gets used.

I dunno. But it can be welded and a good TIG guy can do it in place, with paint in place, and not blister anything.

Exiting an "A" model plane

Those of you with "A" model planes, always exit backwards off of the wing like you are going down a ladder. If you go off front ways, the impact load on the step is really high and the step may crack over time. If you go off backwards, you gently rest your foot on the step and there is a lot less stress. I always impress this on my passengers.

Bruce Reynolds
RV-6A