Michael Burbidge

Well Known Member
I just started working on my wing tips which I carefully stored away on a shelf so they couldn't get damaged. I stored them on the edge that attach to the wings to they wouldn't deform. As I started to work on the left one I noticed an 8 inch crack in the glazed surface. The crack is on top about 6 inches back from the leading edge. Looking inside the tip I can see that the crack goes all the way through the fiberglass. On the inside it is more like a deformation than a crack.

I have two questions. First, it has been about 18 months since I received my wings. I believe, though I can't prove it, that the wing tip was damaged when I received it. I'm guessing that I would have known had I done something to crack it all the way through. Is there any chance that Vans will replace it? I inspected everything but I guess not careful enough.

Second, if Vans won't replace it, do you think I can repair it without it reappearing. I'm guessing that it will be difficult to repair without the potential for the crack to reappear in whatever I use to repair it.

I don't think this is a structural issue. But it certainly could be an eyesore if the crack comes through the finish.