N941WR

Legacy Member
This evening a friend picked me up in his Cozy Mark IV and gave me a ride to the other side of Charlotte?s Class Bravo airspace so I could pick up my RV-9 and reposition it for two days of Young Eagle flying planned for this weekend.

Alex and Ken landed and taxied in with the 180 HP Cozy. Let me say, that I just like the looks of all the canards, probably because they don?t look like every other plane out there.

Alex had the plane kneel down and slide a rod out of the left side so they could exit. Ken climbed in the back. I took the right seat, and Alex the left.

My first impression was that I really need to lose about 30 pounds! My second impression is that I now understand how this aircraft got its name. Alex, Ken, and their wives are all very thin, so they don?t suffer from the big butt syndrome I do.

The leg room for my 6? frame was very tight and you have to slide your legs into a hole with no view of the rudder pedals or brakes. My right hand fell right into position on the side mount stick, which felt very natural. The seating position took me a long time to get used to because you are laid back, not upright in all the RV?s.

Ken then hit the gear extension switch and we were raised to taxi and takeoff position. That was a very strange feeling!

Engine start was also a bit odd because it is way behind you, along with the noise and vibration. The cool part is you can taxi with the enormous canopy tilted off to the right.

Once the canopy was closed and runup complete, we departed. Directional control at low speeds is via differential braking and it always bothers me to feel the plane slow down as one brake is applied on the takeoff roll.

The takeoff roll was typical canard but then again, there were three of us on board and 3/4?s fuel.

I have flown two different Velocities in the past and was NOT impressed by their handling. Both Velocities I flew (one 200 HP and one 310 hp versions) were pitch sensitive and dead in roll and yaw. Thus, I was expecting similar feel when Alex turned the plane over to me.

Boy, was I surprised. His Cozy flew very nice. Response in all three axis?s was well balanced and it was obvious this craft was designed for long distance cruising. Alex has his craft set for IFR travel and I?m sure it suits that purpose very well.

Landings are a bit fast but that is in keeping with the breed.

After we picked up my -9, I was able to keep up with the canard without a problem and we flew formation together. It was pretty obvious to me that my long wing, over powered RV-9 can easily out climb his plane. Someday, when we have more time, we will do a drag race and see who has the faster plane. The results of that should be interesting.

I liken the Cozy Mark IV to a four passenger RV-9, if there were such a thing. It has plenty of room for two people and lots of baggage or four people who are going on a lunch run.

The RV-10 should only be compared to the Velocity and on that score, the Velocity gets more cool points but I think the RV-10 is a better plane.

Would I build a Cozy? No, but mostly because I like going into grass strips and canards and grass strips don?t go together, unless you are landing at SC00.

This flight reinforces the need for Van?s to develop an RV-9 2+2, at least for me it does. Ken, are you reading this?

We built 2 Cozy MkIV's at my house. One was mine and the other belonged to my brother-in-law and a friend he was in partnership with. 7 years into the build, their partnership dissolved. Every time my wife sat in the Cozy she said she felt like she was sitting in a coffin. The handwriting was on the wall so when there partnership dissolved, (along with my friendship with my brother-in-law), I sold my plane to his former partner and helped him finish it to completion while I started an RV-10 kit. He and his wife fly the Cozy all over on long cross countries,,,even so far as the Bahamas. Powered by a Superior XP IO-360 with MT C/S prop, he flight plans for 167 KTAS @ 9.7 gph. We did install removable baggage pods but he rarely use's them. They are one sexy airplane and draw attention on just about every stop, yet they do have their downside: Uses lots of runway on T/O and Landings, tight fit, absolutely no unpaved operations, and lots of prop wear/damage due to the pusher configuration. They are great flying machines and fly like they are on rails with outstanding viability from the front seats,,,,not so good in the back.

From a Cozy driver...

Both posts above are quite accurate. The only statements that are a little off are the airspeeds mentioned. The cafe group tested a Cozy and recorded a top TAS of 210 mph. My top speed is closer to 215 mph with a new Aerosportpower 180 hp lyc. I normally cruise LOP at 165-167 kts true burning 8.3 - 8.5 gph. Marc Zeitlin (Scaled Composites fame) and i were at Arlington this year fielding some questions and someone asked for cruise speeds and we both answered in totally unrehearsed concert "165 kts, 8.5 gph, LOP".

If you are so inclined, here is the Cafe test:

http://www.cafefoundation.org/aprs/Cozy IV APR.pdf

Good write up on all flight characteristics.

As far as the seating goes, i crushed two vertibrae in my back and sitting bolt upright in my Grumman Tiger was only good for about 3 hours before i couldn't stand it anymore. In the Cozy, you are reclined like in an F16 and 5 hour flights for me are a piece of cake.

As for the looks, my Wife hates it because every time we land, i end up answering questions for about an hour. :)

It is a great cross country machine, but less versatile than an RV.

Jon D.

No way.

I was never so glad to be back on the ground when I flew in a friend's 300 horse Velocity!! Continual roll oscillations and an incredibly fast landing speed....thoughts of a successful/survivable forced landing went out the window at those speeds.

Best,

The Cozy is an interesting experiment. I built and flew it after doing likewise with LEZ. They fly great but need a hard surface runway unless the prop is refinished after every flight.

The attached image is one reason I am with an RV. The engine in back constitutes a prop hazard as anything from a washer to a broken exhaust pipe must be avoided. The missing blade is still missing somewhere near Auburn, Alabama. It was the result of an exhaust pipe failure. The airplane shook quite a bit until the mixture was pulled and then it got very calm, thank goodness. For a few seconds I though it was all over. It all happened at 10,500' and ATC helped with a dead stick vector to Auburn.

The airplane is still flying today. The light weight wood prop (Performance) saved the day as there was no damage to the engine or airframe. Fiber glass will absorb a lot of vibration. However, I lost confidence in the rear engine arrangement, the prop picked up anything the wheels stirred up on take off, plus cooling was always an issue in the summer months. Great flying machine otherwise. The event occurred returning to St. Louis from SNF.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Both posts above are quite accurate. The only statements that are a little off are the airspeeds mentioned. The cafe group tested a Cozy and recorded a top TAS of 210 mph. My top speed is closer to 215 mph with a new Aerosportpower 180 hp lyc. I normally cruise LOP at 165-167 kts true burning 8.3 - 8.5 gph. Marc Zeitlin (Scaled Composites fame) and i were at Arlington this year fielding some questions and someone asked for cruise speeds and we both answered in totally unrehearsed concert "165 kts, 8.5 gph, LOP".

If you are so inclined, here is the Cafe test:

http://www.cafefoundation.org/aprs/Cozy IV APR.pdf

Good write up on all flight characteristics.

As far as the seating goes, i crushed two vertibrae in my back and sitting bolt upright in my Grumman Tiger was only good for about 3 hours before i couldn't stand it anymore. In the Cozy, you are reclined like in an F16 and 5 hour flights for me are a piece of cake.

As for the looks, my Wife hates it because every time we land, i end up answering questions for about an hour. :)

It is a great cross country machine, but less versatile than an RV.

Jon D.

These are scratch built planes from plans and all are just a bit different due to various building techniques and modifications made during the build. I am aware if the CAFE report but these are the numbers he uses for flight planing purposes.

Catto Props Rock...

Bill/David,

Re: Broken Blade: The attached image is one reason I am with an RV. The engine in back constitutes a prop hazard as anything from a washer to a broken exhaust pipe must be avoided. The missing blade is still missing somewhere near Auburn, Alabama. It was the result of an exhaust pipe failure. The airplane shook quite a bit until the mixture was pulled and then it got very calm, thank goodness. For a few seconds I though it was all over. It all happened at 10,500' and ATC helped with a dead stick vector to Auburn.

When I first met Craig Catto at his shop in CA back in 98' he had a photo of one of his 3 Blade props off a Vari-EZ that had the exact same thing happen over the Rockies. In his prop though only a small ding was knocked out at the root but otherwise unscathed. The guy flew another 500 miles and only discovered the ding later. A testament to layered composite props.

As Canards go, I loved my Vari-EZ, amazing efficiency and speed with low cost of operation. However comma, it had limitations I couldn't live with discussed by Bill above, mainly everywhere I land is grass!

Smokey
RVX

PS: Bill, a 4 place RV9A? Grumman built a bunch of them, it was called the Tiger :)

Last edited:
PS: Bill, a 4 place RV9A? Grumman built a bunch of them, it was called the Tiger :)

Only problem I see here is when comparing the take-off roll of the Grumman Tiger and any RV.
Pretty much any RV can get in and out of my 1500' strip. Not so much with the Tiger.

Cozy vs Bearhawk?

Mel,

Which goes back to why I don't have an EZ...
When describing my strip to a C-310 driver I told him he might get in but getting out would be a "tight squeeze". Never saw that guy, wonder why?

Now my neighbor has THE definitive 4 seat Sport-plane for STOL in my humble opinion :)

Smokey
RVX

Neighbor Mike's Bearhawk with 330HP IO-540 MT 3 Blade. How does it fly? Awesome!
BH vs RV-10? :)

Last edited: