dsm8

Well Known Member
Patron
RV-12 ULS Cowling​

Fellow RV-12ers

This cowling is giving me fits.

I was following the KAI and began fitting the cowling prior to engine installation but thanks to many of you, I stopped and waited until the engine was installed. I am following the latest version of the KAI Section 37iS/U, dated 12/13/09, although I still have the original version that came with the finishing kit.

Picture 1 shows the space between the back plate and the front cowling. I manufactured some spacers that attach to the angle iron to hold the cowling against the back plate (not shown). The distance seems equal and even.

Picture 2 shows the top cowling from the propeller looking aft and it appears centered.

(continued)​

Picture 3 shows the bottom of the top cowling on the right side. Picture 4 shows the bottom of the left side top cowling. The difference in the bottom edges has me concerned. It appears that the top cowling is not centered along the midline. There is a 1 1/4’ difference along the centerline.

Should I sue the TLAR method (That looks about right, or should I try rotate the cowling so the bottom of each side of the top cowing are equidistant from the fuselage skin.

Any thoughts would be appreciated, and I can get more pictures if you need them. the pictures did not attach to the post so the whole post including pictures is attached as a .pdf

Thanks again

Attachments

• Cowling post.pdf
    410 KB · Views: 53
Something is not right. I build my first 12 with the old instructions and the recent once by the latest “is” Which looks like what you are using. Top cowl cut to lines fit correctly on both sides with equal distance to floor on front edge. Looks like your top centerline is off and top cowl needs rotated.

Something is not right. I build my first 12 with the old instructions and the recent once by the latest “is” Which looks like what you are using. Top cowl cut to lines fit correctly on both sides with equal distance to floor on front edge. Looks like your top centerline is off and top cowl needs rotated.
Thanks Scott:

Looking it again, I think you are right, I will rotate it and take some measurements.