Ifly12

Can anyone tell me if there is any difference in the interior cowling width between the rv-6 & the rv-8. I am thinking about buying an rv-6 and would like to change out the high time o-360 with a 200 horse 360. Someone told me the cowling would have to be modified because of the width of the new engine. However a friend just bought one of these engines to put in his rv-8 that he is building. Looking for advice!

Thanks,

John

Try to find someone who has put the angle valve 200 HP IO-360 in an RV-6 before you buy the engine. The -6 was designed for 180 HP max and there may be some W&B issues but I don't really know.

The -7 was designed from the start with the idea of using this heavier engine (As much as 35 lbs more, depending on your source for weights), so shorter engine mounts are available. I don't know if that is the case with the -6 but I do know it has been done before.

(This coming from a guy who is about to fly his RV-9 with a O-360.)

Last edited:
Also look into the O-375/O-390 and similar engines to see if they may work better for you.

Last edited:
A local RV-6A builder had a 200 hp IO-360-A in his aircraft. He reported that he had to do major mods to the cowling to get it to fit around the engine.

When Steve Barnard put an angle valve 360 in his six----he developed a totally new cowl for the installation.

You can still get the cowl from Sam James, as I recall.

COWL

I HAVE A IO-360 ANGLE IN MY 6, USED A SAM JAMES HOLLEY COWL IT WORKS GREAT, COOL AND FAST. DENNIS N16DD

200 HP in a RV-6A - Sigh

Probably not a consideration for you but the class limits in SARL racing at this time require a 360 cu. in. engine to stay within the RV Blue class - the IO-360 works just fine. It is good to know that there is a commercially available cowl for an RV-6 with a IO-360 200 hp engine. Anything with larger displacement pushes you up to the RV Gold Class or if larger than 390 (except for the RV-10) into the Sport FX class (as Bob Mills finds himself competing there with the Rockets). Another consideration beside the ballast requirement is the relatively small stock tanks of the RV-6. I have 17 gallons in tip tanks that I add to the wing for our normal travel and the conversion between race and cruise configuration takes me about three days. Van's is very uncomfortable with the extra 1.5 ft. wingspan. I have made an extra set of my 3" racing tips to go on the tip tanks that reduce the wing span back to the original design's 23 feet. The race configuration wingspan is 21.5 feet. I would like to boost the horse power from 180 to 200 without turbocharging (which is another class) and without changing the engine. Is there no end to this wishing ...? Guess not.

Bob Axsom