jump4way

Well Known Member
I'm in the process of fitting my cowling. I've got the aft ends attached to the firewall and the split line cut along the sides. On one side, I have a gap of about .040 near the firewall with it fitting very snug along the nose. The other side fits snugly during the entire length.

I'm trying to determine how much of a gap should be along the sides of the cowling to allow for paint/vinyl wrap (I'm undecided on paint or vinyl). I'm using the skybolt flange system if that is of any consequence. How much gap did you leave or would you recommend?

If I am to build up the edge just a small amount, what is the best way? Can I lay on an apoxy /flox mix and sand it down once it cures or should I launch on a few layers of glass to lengthen am edge?

Thanks for any advice.

80 grit

Fold 80 grit cloth back paper over on its self and run it in the gap. It leaves the perfect gap

Gary Specketer

I usually use a hack saw blade with a piece of sticky backed sand paper folded over on it.
Also, a credit card/ gift card with sand paper on it works well, too.
Using the same method makes it easy for all of the gaps, on wheel pants, etc. to match
You need more gap than you might think to make up for the thickness of paint so it doesn't rub later on.

Big gap

Ahh.. Ok, so paint takes up quite a bit more space than I though. It sounds like that .040 gap should be about right.