Allan Stern

Well Known Member
How often have you experienced blistering in the paint on your engine cowling? I had blisters on my 8A the first time after I painted my cowling, due to engine heat. And I also had the paint pull off when I removed a vinyl decal. So I took the cowling to the local vocational school and had the students repaint it. Again I had paint blistering/pulling off before I even got it home. So back to the vocational school again where they stripped off all the old paint and primer to get a good adhesion. That job has been okay so far. But the other day, I noticed a quarter size blister on side of lower cowling by fire wall. So for the time being going to live with it.
You can paint it yourself, but it also can be difficult.

Did you happen to use a polyester high-build primer? Many stories out there in the canard world. Feather Fill, for example, was a popular choice for a while.

I had a glass project in the late 80's which did as you describe.

use stainless steel metal

Did you install any stainless steel heat tape to the inside of the canopy? There are plenty of suppliers that sell the SS tape in 36" widths. I installed this to the inside of my cowling to help reflect the heat away from the cowling. So far so good, but then again I just painted the aircraft 4 months ago.

Adhesive backed automotive reflective heat blanket. Thin, lightweight, easy to install, works great! No more blisters.